Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grasshopper

Help with setting up my own server

Sorry if this isn't the right forum (I'm not really sure where I should put this). Anyhow, where we go...

I'm trying to set-up an FTP server to run off my computer. I'm using Serv-U as my current FTP client, and it's working great. However, I'm having some trouble. It may be because I'm doing something that's impossible (I'm not sure).

Right now, I've had a few people be able to connect to me and completely download a file (although, I'm not sure if they were using an FTP client, or using the links I have posted on my site).

http://www.SLGinc.tk is my site. What I'm trying to do is be able to just give a link (like 'Click here'), and have it so that when you click on it, it downloads a file through my FTP server. Is that possible? If it is, why can nobody use the links I have posted on my site? Is there some setting I'm missing?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

-Tim

Edit: Maybe I should be a little more descriptive of what's happening when people try to use one of the links. I quote:

"Whenever I click on any of the N64 ROMs it looks like the browser is doing work but nothing happens. "

and,

"Same has been happening with me, but at the end I just get an action cancelled page."

Hi,

make sure that you allow at least 2 connections for each ip/user since IE uses 2 threads for ftp downloads. Not sure if that is the problem but it could be.

/Toby

Right now I don't even have the box checked that limits the amount of user connections per IP.

The main thing I wanna know is, can I take files from my FTP, get a link, give that link to someone, and have it so when they click on it, it starts the download?

That should not be a problem. How is your box secured? If you have a firewall and forward port 21 to your server that usually is not enough since ftp uses at least other port (22? correct me if i'm wrong) for the actuall data transfer.

However, why don't you serve the files on your webserver? It would be for the best IMHO. What is the reason for having another (unsecure) service running on your box when the webserver could do the task?

I'm on my linux-box right now using mozilla-firebird and I don't see any links so I can't try them myself.

Also, make sure you try the links with "passive mode" enabled in IE.

If you you use MSN-messenger I could try to help you, my msn addy is in my profile smile

/Toby

Ok, I added you onto my MSN buddy list (pbr2k2@hotmail.com). Hopefully I can find a way around this and get it working! smile

Edit: Well, actually, I don't NEED to be using an FTP. What webserver programs do you recommend? I just need something that's easy to use... I just need to use it to host files on, so that I can give someone a link, they click it, and it downloads.