Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ziemowit

A7N8X Deluxe + ASUS Radeon 9600 XT problems

Hi

I bought a new components and have problems now.

Specification:

MB: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

GC: ASUS Radeon 9600 XT

RAM: TwinMOS PC3200 512

CPU: Athlon XP 2500+

HDD: Seagate S-ATA

All of this are new.

Okay, what problems.

First:

In bios I set cpu to 166 and memory settings to auto/optimal. In restera bios report me athlonxp 2500+ correctly but memory is working on 166 (dual chanel - two identical modules).

System is working okay. Almost frown In some situations I got flash blue screen and restart. No "blue screen of death" but a flash (less than second) of clean blue and system simply restart. This were in 3dMark2003 (in CPU test part and in demo) and in only game I run - Breed (training mission works perfect, but demo mission crash in time of initial cutscene).

Second:

When I'm trying to force memory to run at 400MHz I got another problems. I was trying different BIOS settings for memory clock (By SPD, 120%). Timings were always optimal. No matter I set up, effect is similiar - Win2003 start booting and in one moment simply restart. In one situation (when I was trying to set CPU to 400Mhz FSB) I got blue screen with critical error.

So finally - do you see any resolve of this problems? I can give more details if required (drivers and so on).

Thanks

The Barton 2500+ is a 333Mhz FSB chip. So it is DESIGNED to run @ 166FSB (333FSb DDR) and hence if ur setting it to 400FSB ur overclocking the CPU by a fair margin and that will explain your crashes.

If the RAM is running in Dual Channel mode and in sync mode with the CPU @ 166FSB it will provide more performance than if you run it Async @ 400Mhz. Thats why it got set to 166FSB, cause it is the optimal performance. In Sync with the CPU.

trust me, running @ 333FSB in Sync with the CPU is much better than running ASync 400MHz.

Okay, I trust you. I've read this a few times and I'm not decided to speedup memory to 400MHz or CPU to 400MHz. I'm working now with memory at 166 like CPU and is oka. Almost okay. As I wrote, I have problems with unexpecting reboots. This is my worse problem.

I have Chieftec 420W. RAM is under 2.6 (DDR Reference Voltage in BIOS).

But I found strange thing. I start beiung angry and reinstall system to Windows 2000 Pro and all works perfect. 3D Mark 2003 dont hang, all looks fine. I'm not too happy because I prefer win 2003 (In my feeling it's faster).

So all loks like win2003 is responsible for all problems. It's possible?

I have to differ with the opinion on FSB settings.

A7N8X Deluxe

AMD 2500 Barton 200x10.5 multiplier

2-sticks 512 LL Corsair 3200

Asus 9600 XT - but not for long it's a piece of crap

I run this puppy with the FSB set at 200, never change it

That puts the Ram, the MB and the CPU in sync. The difference in test scores between running the CPU at 2100 vs 2200 is only about 10% increase. Not worth the instability to me. But...

when I bump the FSB from 333 to 400 performance and scores jump about 30%. The system reads it as an AMD 3000 and it performs like one. I can run the CPU at 2200 but it crashes when I play Forgotten Battles.

It has run like this for six months now and I have never had any issues related to overclocking.

The reason I stopped by here is problems w/ the 9600xt and was looking for compatiblity issues w/ the A7N8X.

Recommendation

Check Power Supply

Be sure you have a good heatsink and fan

Check Bios settings - this can cause blue screens too

Put a heatsink fan combo on the FSB

I took off the HS that came on the board and put a on Vantec copper orb that is really meant for a vid card.

Good luck and happy gaming

i have the asus a7n8x-e and a 9600 xt and i am also getting blue screen restarts. I run xp so it is not as simple as go back to windows 2000. anyways for a long time i thought it was the processor getting to hot but i have checked temps on it several times and it is fine. I also put my old radeon 7500 in my computer and had no issues. So far the blue screen restart only happens when playing bf1942 and other mods for it. (It is not the install!!) So is this a defective card or just a peice of shit. Any intelligent opinions would be greatly appreciated.

system stats:

a7n8x-e

2 chips of exactly same 512 ddr 2700 ram

2500+ processor

radeon 9600 xt

SATA barracuda hard drive

I also have customized my case for optimal airflow with several fans. cpu runs around 59c on average and case is 28c on average

I did have one interesting problem too. When i used Sandra to benchmark my machine it said that my processor fan is only runnin 922rpm ....but my bios says over 4000. Hmmmmmm??

Hi there!

I have practicly same system as you (never found one so similar until now):

A7N8X Deluxe 2.0

2500+ Barton w/ Akasa Carnival

512 x2 Twinmos 400Mhz(3200) DUAL

GForce4 Ti 4200 OC@ 300,Core\570,Mem

120Gb SATA + 40Gb Ide

Chieftech

Temps @ 30º room temp, hey it's summer here and is really hot winkwinkwink --> 40ºC cpu

32ºC mobo

My scores (new drivers-61.77)in 3dmark 2001: 12400; 3d mark 2003: 1860.

I've tryed,since i bought this system one year ago, to overclock it to is max and encountered a lot of obstacles in my way. had it at 3200+ (400 fsb) mult. 11x , and back to 2800+ (333 fsb) x12.5 and now i finaly got it run 3200+ (400 fsb - 2200Mhz) x11 stable. my problem was the memory! If you have to sticks of mem they must be exactly same type and brand. otherwise it's probable that you'll get problems..

All my setting in bios are default except fsb 200 mhz and cpu voltage a got up by 0.25v. I got it at 6.75v. My mem setting are 6,3,3,2T and AUTO But the wierdest thing i found in the lots of overclocking tests i've made,is that i think the board "gets used" to the timings you leave her at [till some point of course wink ] I mean if you change, for example FSB from 166 to 180, dont just expect to get it work all along even if in a remote time you got it work at 200 fsb! I think you have to INSIST, doing tests let it crash sometimes,change "little" settings in bios, I mean: don't be radical and change from 166 to 200 all the way! Go one by one. you have to be pacient if you really want to overclock your system.

If I can of course I would like to overclock a bit more,and with time I will try..Let's see..

Hope to ear some ideias to get the best performance out of a system like this! It rocks nice smile

What do you think about this? Anyone have the same ideias? Hope to hear something soon, thanks ,keep in touch!

Well this is just my opinion hope it helps someone...

Sorry my English i'm from Portugal :P

Regards, RicK

Oke, I've worked it out! This is the solution for the booting problem (black screen when booting windows).

It's a little stupid but it does the job...

Put a cheap pci card next to it, put the primary boot in your bios to pci..

Boot windows, and enable the radeon.... then disable the pci..

And tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Please.. post something if this helped...

HEY GUYS. NEEDED QUICK ADVICE.

I JUST BOUGHT THIS ASUS BOARD A7N8X-E off one of my friends.

I am trying to get the computer built and need to buy some RAM for it. I read everyones article and saw a lot of confusion. Im confused. I think I will buy a couple sticks of pc3200, but am having problems deciding on which one and cannot find info that will let me know what BRANDS will work with this MB. I've had issues before buying a a7v266 board for my dad. I dont want to run into the same problems. Im thinking about just buying a couple micron slabs or samsung since they are trust worthy brands. let me know what you guys bought or what will work. Im in NO hurry to get this system running. My 133 athlon 800 is working very good for my school work! laugh

Thanx for your input/knowledge.

hoots911@hotmail.com

its me again with the full problem this time lol.

win xp pro

AMD 3000+

asus k8ne mb

1gb RAM in 2 sticks DDR400 3200 value

160gb maxtor ide primary master

40gb maxtor ide primary slave

plex writer ide secondary master

sony dvd ide sec slave

and a new ATI saphire 9600XT 256DDR

1 exhaust fan

standard AMD heatsink and fan

3 case fans

heat is not a problem here

ive just got the new card about 2 weeks ago and ive had nothing but problems since. i had a hercules 3d prothet 128ddr before and it never crashed or freeze. i know the new card is the problem as its the only thing ive changed. ive tried a few fixes such as increasing voltage, default settings AGP x4 etc but the system just crashes 1 to 10 mins into call of duty united offensive when online only. it does not crash when playing single player. ive installed latest ATI drivers and ive tried the omega driver but that went belly up on the rad clocker taking xp with it. so ive had a fresh install but still get the game crashes when online.

ive got the lates bios installed for the asus mb as well so i have ran out of ideas. Any help will stop me from going insane as i am now begining to have withdrawal symptoms from COD and shakes

thanks

dave