Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperChicken

Quick tips for Sysprep.

I'm just finishing up a new iteration of our XP pro OEM corporate image, and wanted to check a couple things.

what switches should I use to get rid of the OEM key entry, and have the machine basically just boot to windows, skipping the minisetup and just resetting the SID's. ( have predefined default profiles and a generic "agent" user account.)

I've tried

Code:
"sysprep -activated -mini"
and it still asks for the product key.

Thanks for your input.

Don't you still have to enter a valid OEM key into the WINNT.SIF file ?!?

Here's how I did our OEM Pre-Installs for XP Pro:

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall=Yes

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=5

OEMSkipRegional=1

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductID="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

FullName=ValuedCustomer

OrgName=ValuedCustomer

ComputerName=Workstation

Is that SIF file used as a config list for the sysprep? Should i build one and have sysyprep run from it? Not sure about using SIF files, I was just using switches on the command itself.

(prepping the image for ghost)

I use this for the OEM Pre-Installs as I work for a system builder and I create a load of CD's from an Image using Nero wink

I also slipstream the latest Service Packs and do the same for Win 2k Pro smile

Well I don't know if there's a way to do that but perhaps somebody else might know wink

The Winnt.SIF file is only used when you want to automate setup when booting from the CD-ROM. To help automate the Sysprep mini-setup wizard, you need to create a Sysprep.INF file. This file can be created using the SetupMGR.exe utility found on the CD-ROM in the Support\Tools\Deploy.CAB file. You need to place the Sysprep.INF file in the C:\Sysprep folder on the image computer. You can use it to define the common variable asked, and leave the computer specific variables blank, setup will stop on the blank variables and ask you to fill them in.

Quote:
The Winnt.SIF file is only used when you want to automate setup when booting from the CD-ROM. To help automate the Sysprep mini-setup wizard, you need to create a Sysprep.INF file. This file can be created using the SetupMGR.exe utility found on the CD-ROM in the Support\Tools\Deploy.CAB file. You need to place the Sysprep.INF file in the C:\Sysprep folder on the image computer. You can use it to define the common variable asked, and leave the computer specific variables blank, setup will stop on the blank variables and ask you to fill them in.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Damn, and the image has been pressed. Thanks though, I'll remember for next time!