Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

Getting Files/Directory listings of websites?

Is it possible to get simple directory and file listings of a website? Like, say I were to request www.ntcompatible.com I would get a listing of the index.htm and all the other folders such as images and such... kinda like I am ftping into the site, but not....

Most sites have virtual directory listing denied, as it is a security risk. Anything specific you're looking for, or just poking around?

Just poking around mainly... Usually I'll have a favorite photographer who has work that he hasnt linked and I want to find it...

Even still... how would I go about checking? I mean, it would atleast be worth my time to give it a shot. Another thing I thought of for myself was my own site. I cant ftp to it while I am at school because they block ports and I sometiems forget what all I have on there and in what directories. This would helpe me out.... (also comes in handy when I am looking for movies on those free movie sites wink )

So how would I go about doing this?

If there is an index.htm(l) or similar file or script, you cannot view virtual directory listings, unless it has been enabled by the web server administrator.

An example of how to view, assuming the server configuration allows it would be:

http://www.servername.com/pictures/

Now, if the url was something like:

http://www.servername.com/pictures/mypicts.html

then the mypicts.html page would be loaded instead of a directory listing.

If there was an index.htm(l) present in the /pictures/ folder, again, by default, that would be loaded and essentially prevent directory listing.

yeah I know that but I was wondering if there was a way of searching or displaying all files with some sort of program.

Quote:
yeah I know that but I was wondering if there was a way of searching or displaying all files with some sort of program.

I seriously doubt that it is possible if the directory listing is turned off on the server. There are applications out there that if you give it a base page, it will download all linked pages recursively. I currently use one on my powerbook but I am sure there are windows programs that do the same thing. It's pretty trivial code.

Hmm... no.

I just tried that out and it doesnt do what I want.

I want to know what files are on a site that are NOT linked anywhere... these programs just search linked files from the main page..... not what I'm looking for.

Even Teleport Pro can only follow links. Normally when you get a directory listing of a web site, it is still really the web server looking at the directory, gathering the file names, and formatting it in html with links to the real files. So all Teleport Pro does is parse out the links and recurse into the link targets. Any files that are not linked to will not be gathered.

No you can't, not wihtout hax0ring the server. The server will have directory listing turned off most of the time. Call the web admin up and ask him to turn on directory listing for you.

Even then, if the path has a default document, you still won't get the listing.