Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kjellc

Anyone tried Diskeeper 8.0, & on Windows2003 Server?

As far as I can see it works rather well so far, with the exception of FAT32 partitions, where performance seems very much slower than in version 7. Of course this is not really relevant when it comes to server use, where NTFS is first choice.

The standard and enterprise versions of Diskeeper 8 are supposed to be certified for use with Windows Server 2003, but you should study the table in the readme file to see which version goes with what.

I have had what seems to be a communications problem between the Diskeeper Administrator console on a W2K Pro machine and Windows 2003, but I am not sure what causes it, as I am quite new at Win 2003.

I would be most interested to hear if anyone else has had similar problems.

Hope this was of some help.

I have the Pro version and I like it. I had 7 before. I haven't done any "testing" but it does seem a little faster, and a little easier on the system resources.

I don't particularly care for the new interface though. It seems a bit "busy" for what should be a simple utility. It's as if the layout was designed by somebody in the marketing department... it's big, colorful and has lots of things to click on. It makes for nice screenshots.

Quote:
Thanks guys!
* I guess that'd be my MAIN question, & here is the best way for me to phrase it etc.:

If I was installed & running Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition, would I need to purchase DK8 'enterprise' version... OR could I get buy installing the "PRO/STD" version of Diskeeper 8.x?

APK

Here ya go...
http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp#grid

No version of Diskeeper V8 is certified for Windows 2000 OR Windows Server 2003. Go to http://www.veritest.com/certification/ms/cfw/cfw_reports.asp for a list of certified applications.

Regarding which version of Diskeeper V8 you need to purchase. If you are running a server version of Windows, then you would need to purchase a server version of Diskeeper. Workstation versions will not install on a server version of Windows.

Now, the tricky part. Which server version of Diskeeper do you need to purchase. Is your system a web server? Then you might need Diskeeper Server Web. If you want the ability to defragment large drives (greater than 100GB), then you would need to purchase Enterprise Edition or Datacenter edition. At a retail price of about $1000 for Enterprise Edition, I personally think that is way too much money to pay simply for the ability to defragment large drives when there are solutions available for a lot less. The file system (NTFS) doesn't change amonst the various flavors of Windows Server (or workstation for that matter).

- Greg/Raxco Software

Microsoft MVP - Windows File Systems

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Ouch. That really is way too much to pay. I wonder what kind of sells they are getting on Enterprise? I've noticed that many IT shops don't pay THAT much attention to fragmentation...usually only if they experience a problem (slowness, program recommending a defrag) do they even bother to degrag. Hopefully someone with the money to dump that much cash on defragmentation software would have a need for that money somewhere else....but likely not since I've seen Servers in disrepair while managers get 21" LCD's.......

I personally think that Executive is reverting back to the "old" way that software was licensed - based on the "power" of the machine - in this case, based on the size and number of drives instead of the number and speed of the CPUs (like mainframe software used to be priced).

Our experience is that most companies would rather spend $200 for the ability to defrag a server - regardless of number and size of drives -rather than $1000 smile

- Greg/Raxco Software

Microsoft MVP - Windows File Systems

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.