Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acidtwin

Athlon XP 2.6 on WinXP or MOBO Problem

Hola

I recently bought a new MSI KM4M Series (VIA KM400 Chipset) mobo, i installed a 2.6 GHz AMD Athlon XP (apprantly thats meant to run at around 2GHz or such, as AMD Tell you the Effectantcy and the actualy clock speed,

while windows xp recognises it as a "AMD Athlon XP 2000+" it shows it is running at a clock speed of 1.53GHz. Does anyone know why?

One theory i have is the clock freqancy, it is 266 on the cpu but using the mobo jumpers the highist u can set it is 166 or so, I cannot find anything the BIOS to change this.

I'm using:

XP SP1

512MB DDR Ram

GF4

2 Hard Drives

SB Live

CD RW and normal CD Drive

500w power supply

Any advice or ideas?

(And yes i did try it on another motherboard, i thought it may be faulty)

Thanks

-Acid

if your 2600+ cpu is based on the Barton core, the bus speed is 333, not 266, your settings in the BIOS are probably wrong.

There are 3 versions of the 2600+ AthlonXP.

If this is your motherboard:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=KM4M-L

all 3 versions are supported. Because this motherboard does not seem to allow you to change the multiplier setting and it's currently running at 1533 MHz, I am 99.99% certain you have the Barton version of this processor.

The FSB on your motherboard (jumpers SW1 and SW2) should be set to 166MHz.

Note: If you have PC2700 (DDR333) memory you should be all set. If you only have PC2100 (DDR266) memory, you need to go into the BIOS setup and make sure the "DRAM Clock" setting is set to either "By SPD" or "133MHz"

I'm not too sure if its the "Barton" core, its brand new from PC World, it says on the packaging for it 2.6 GHz, then below something like 2.06GHz (which is what it should run at apprantly). So how can i get it to run that that efficancy? Even if the bus speed is 333 for the mobo, the mobo has it set at 166MHz so that cannot be efficant, right?

Quote:
Note: If you have PC2700 (DDR333) memory you should be all set. If you only have PC2100 (DDR266) memory, you need to go into the BIOS setup and make sure the "DRAM Clock" setting is set to either "By SPD" or "133MHz"

I have two 256MBs of DDR Ram, one is 333MHz the other is 266MHz

Edit 2: Checked the BIOS for this, the options i have are By SPD, 133, 166. By SPD was selected.

I'm trying to find the casing for the CPU so i can be more spacific, right now i am going by memory.

I told the guy in-store that it was running at 1.53GHz, he said "Odd".... very helpful lol.

Any more ideas guys that could solve this? I want to get the most out of my cpu :P

Thanks!

Edit: Still looking for the case of it but to make life easier, here is the info from where i bought it.

From here the info is:

Model - AMD XP2600+

# 2083 mhz Core Speed

# 333 mhz System Bus

# 128 Kb Level 1 Cache

Core Speed 2083 mhz

System Bus 333 mhz

Level 1 Cache 128 Kb

Level 2 Cache 256 Kb

Total Cache 384 Kb

Architecture QuantiSpeed

Hope this helps - arch i want my fast speed lol wink

-Acid

The MSI KM4M-L mainboard has a jumper on-board that must be changed to allow FSB to run at 333mhz. Then, manually set the bios for 166mhz. (I have the same board)

This is the issue, be sure to set the jumper on the motherboard to FSB(Front Side Bus) to 166MHz instead of 133MHz and that should take care of the speed of the CPU.

Some motherboards are totally jumperless like the Asus model I have, I just need to set the BIOS FSB settings and memory speed and away it goes wink Others like yours still require a manual FSB settings jumper.