Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Poor performance: Athlon XP 2000+ On Windows 2000 Pro SP4!

Hi All,

I am soryr if this is in the wrong section, but I couldn't think of anywhere else more appropriate to post this.

Disclaimer: I DID do a search on the forums before posting this. None of the results relate to what i need.

The Setup:

Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67GHz) PALOMINO CORE running on a Soyo Dragon Plus K7v

512MB DDR 2100 (266MHz)

Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4

Disclaimer 2: This problem DOES NOT EXIST IN LINUX! I say this specifically to make a poin that I don't think my hardware is faulty.

The Problem:

I seem to be experiencing VERY poor performance! I have no idea why. Sometimes the system is nice and responsive, but most of the time, its just going like a slug!

I was thinking that maybe it may be related to Windows 2000 not being optimized for Athlon XP processors.

Is there a patch or something that improves Athlon XP system performance on Windows 2000?

Below are snapshots of my Task Manager (just to see what I am running)

Any and all feedback is VERY welcome. And again, I appologize if this is in the wrong section

Running Applications Tab

TaskMon-Appz.jpg

Running Processes Tab

TaskMon-Proc1.jpg

Running Processes (list scrolled down) Tab

TaskMon-Proc2.jpg

Performance Tab

TaskMon-Perf.jpg

Hi Shassouneh,

I had this problem with WinXP. Turns out that a security update had been installed that made my system slow to a crawl.

Not sure if it would apply to Windows 2000 but it's worth checking to see if you've got update 811493 and uninstall it if you have.

I always stay up to date with WIndows Update, so it is possible.

I just checked and I do not have 811493 installed. It could be that its a different number for Windows 2000.

Thanx for the reply ross. Much appreciated laughsmile

It was worth a shot I suppose. Have you got the latest drivers for your hardware, ie. VIA Hyperion 4in1, video etc..

Can you remember when the machine started to periodically run slower, might have there been something that was installed around that time which may have caused it?

Yes,

I have all the latest drivers for all my hardware. Since I switched my motherboard from MSI to Soyo, I did a fresh install. So Its not an issue of bad sofware or incompatible software (I don't think)..

I am still open to suggestions and would gladly appreciate them. Thanx

The fact that you have 51 processes running above doesn't help your performance any! Try clearing your Startup folder and your registry startup (Run) keys. Also turn OFF any unneeded services. If you don't have this problem after clearing all your startup items then it is a rouge app.

LOL @ Norton.

I can't live without Norton. I trust it as my only Anti Virus / WIndows Utility suite.

As for the 51 processes, I already DID trim down as much as I can. Its this stupid Java nd Oracle that think that if there are any resources free they have exclusive rights to everything ( I have many bones ot pick with Oracle).

Unfortunately I am forced to ruin Oracle and Java for a class I'm taking.

I even tried to shut down the oracle/java processes but it keeps saying access denied even though I am an administrator!

Thanx for all the feedback everyone. Please keep the comments coming

Quote:
I even tried to shut down the oracle/java processes but it keeps saying access denied even though I am an administrator!

That's because it's running with SYSTEM authority, which is (obviously) above any Administrative account.

Oh I C. Well That BITES! Oracle/Java is nothing but a pair with a mission fo exhausting ALL available resources

Could be. Are you using Sun's Java VM then? Have you checked for any updates? There's a possibility that could help out...

If not, you could always kill those P2P programs you have running...

;-)

Yes. I Always download the latest JDK (oh sorry J2SESDK) from Sun Microsystems. I am running version 1.4.2 which is supposedly the latest stable one.

As for the P2P program there is Only Direct Connect OR Kazaa running at any time, and they don't seem to be chugging away at too much CPU/memory usage. They are mostly I/O bound

Any other ideas?

I bet you need a good copy of Ad-ware. Cause I know a few people that was getting that sluggish performace from their K7 machine and I suggested them to try Ad-ware.... Turned out their machines were loaded with spyware and was using up all their systems resources.

I hope it helps... wink

OK, I see a few issues thrown around. I must address them right away so as not to get off track here

1.) Ad - Aware:

I DO have BOTH LavaSoft's Ad Aware AND Spybot's Search and destroy installed. I run them EACH twice a day, AND I update Ad Aware whenever they seem to have an online update. So the system is kept clean from ad/spy/mal/mine ware as much as possible.

2.) Kazaa:

I have this problem even WITH kazaa completely turned off! I even checked the task manager to make sure the process is not there. So I made sure kazaa was completely unloaded, and I STILL have this poor performance

3.) Web Serving and / or File Sharing:

As I have mentioned earlier, BOTH Direct Connect AND Kazaa have been completely shut down. I am NOT running a web site or file server of any kind. The only reason apache shows in my task list is because Oracle installs it as a system service that I am unable to shut down (even as an administrator!).

That being said, with a 1.67GHz processor and 512MB of memory on a good solid Soyo board, with all this s**** turned off, I am completely clueless why my performance feels like I am running a 386!!!

I am still open to ideas and suggestions, so please feel free to give more feedback.

Thanx for all the replies everyone!

This is kind of a computer that i suggest my client to upgrade to XP so they could use that "MSCONFIG" command ank kill all that startup crap!!!!

The problem is not windows 2000 itself, it is the stuff that you are running in the background.

no one can decide what's good for your system, because you aere the one who uses it. but this P2P stuff is a real pain in the neck. you will evantually end up with a crashing windows and even with a black screen saying such and such files are corrupted or missing.

Here is a better suggetion: instead of spending time to fix your registery and end tasking just reinstall windows and stay away from Kazaa and any P2P crap. YOU CANNOT END TASK OR UNINSTALL P2P BY NORMAL MEANS it will be still running in the background.

i find these kind of programs being the source of all kinds of problems.

Quote:
This is kind of a computer that i suggest my client to upgrade to XP so they could use that "MSCONFIG" command ank kill all that startup crap!!!!

The problem is not windows 2000 itself, it is the stuff that you are running in the background.

no one can decide what's good for your system, because you aere the one who uses it. but this P2P stuff is a real pain in the neck. you will evantually end up with a crashing windows and even with a black screen saying such and such files are corrupted or missing.

Here is a better suggetion: instead of spending time to fix your registery and end tasking just reinstall windows and stay away from Kazaa and any P2P crap. YOU CANNOT END TASK OR UNINSTALL P2P BY NORMAL MEANS it will be still running in the background.

i find these kind of programs being the source of all kinds of problems.

XP is out of the question. I do not beleive in that POS. Also, I DO have msconfig in Windows 2000. I downloaded it and put in the right directory and I can use it just fine. I disabled everything I do not need at start up.

As for intermittent disk access, that might be it. I do have Norton Systemworks installe,d and who knows what it could be doing in the background.

Also, I am NOT (repeat: NOT running any restore software). However, one of my partitions, my C Windows partition is running NTFS with indexing turned ON. I don't know if this could be it, but since AleStaar mentioned it, It might have something to do with it.

What the heck is the "System Idle Process"? And why is it taking 76 to 99% of my processing power? Can anyone please shed some light?

Oracle Out, Performance In!

It looks like these darned Oracle Services where murdering my performance. I just disabled them TEMPORARILY and my performance skyrocketed!!!

Unfortunately I need to have the Oracle stuff running for some Database class homework I need to work on.

Any ideas?

Thanx for all your valuable input AlecStaar. It seems Oracle is a huge hog, especially since it releis so heavily on Java (I have LOTS of bones to pick with Java).

As for the Indexing Service, I just checked and it is set to Manual, and it was not turned on. So there should be little or no problem there.

I will set those oracle services to manual for now. Since Disabling them seems to hit the spot.

Also, for some odd reason, whenevr I run Internet Explorer I get all kinds of Spyware 9which i succesfully remove using the updated Spybot Search And Destroy, and lavasoft's Ad aware). This ONLY takes place whenever I run IE. I don't usually run IE as I cannot stand it. All Hail Mozilla wink

Thanx again for your feedback everyone laughsmile

Thanx again for the help everyone.

Now I have a new problem on my hands. It is like I am in a boat that has holes, as soon as I plug one, a new one pops up!

Wehenever I try to start the oracle sertvices now, i get an error message saying the service database is locked! What the??

Any clue what this is? Yes I am logged in as an administrator!

Oh wow. Pretty long read.

What I don't see though Is why I can't do this the easy way. I mean the services thingy SHOULD allow me to start/stop services on the fly. What's this whole database lock business??

Well Still,

I do not see how this all works. The Service tool under Administrative tools, IN THEORY, should allow mt eo enable/disable services, and set how their startup mode is like,

The error i get is for ALL services. If i try to start/stop ANY service I get that error, So I do not think it is related ot any specific process.

Also, I STILL don't see how this database lock business works. IN windows, you are SUPPOSED to be able to switch services on and off using that tools without the hassle of the registry (providing you are an administrator, which I am)!!!

I feel like I am in the twilight zone.

I was forced to reboot (because I had to some repartitioning) and guess what, the thing doesn't giv eme the error message any more.!

Twilight zone?

ta na na ta na na ta na na na!!!!