Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
insaNity

Is there a remote desktop server for Win2K Pro?

I am controlling my Win2K pro machine from my Linux laptop with VNC which is less than responsive due to the nature of rfb's implementation (polling, guesswork and bitmapped display).

I know RDP (aka terminal services / remote desktop) is a lot faster, and I have an RDP client I can use.

My question is, do I really have to install Windows 2000 server or Windows XP to do this? Is there no Windows 2000 Professional RDP server addon, be it commercial/unofficial or otherwise?

Maybe I can even copy the needed files and registry settings over from a Win2000 server installation.. anything....?

Thanks for any responses

Unfortunately

Win2k Pro has no native RDP support.

I would stick with TightVNC if you are looking for more "snippyness" over slow connections. Other alternatives include PCanywhere and Radmin.

smile

What was said above is correct.

There is no RDP server for Win2k pro.

What was said above regarding MS and an ActiveX control is true as well. What it does however, is allow a PC running IIS to host a website that when accessed will allow you to download an ActiveX control in place of using the fullblown Remote Desktop client. The web page allows you to point to a remote desktop server but it does not allow or prevent that PC hosting the site from becoming a remote desktop server.

Hopefully that is somewhat clear.

Alright I guess I'll leave it for now, and go back to XP next time I reinstall.

Thanks guys =)

in reply to above. Yes Win2k server supports RDP, remote desktop protocol. However, you can't install terminal services under Win2k Pro. The client works fine on it, but there is no option to make it the server end for terminal services / remote desktop.