Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hardwarecrazy

How to extract a file from W2K CD?

Shame on me! I have forgotten how to extract a file that I need from \I386\LANG\ folder on the W2KS CD!. It is a TTF file but it has the extention .TT_ on the CD. Could someone help me with this- I have done this so many times about a year back- but now....

TIA.

Hi Gang,

3 Cheers for Winzip! Sometimes I just hate annoying command-line operations. It's like oh great now here's another set of command-line parameters and syntax I get to learn. It makes me want to sing a song like "I need a hero...", but instead "I need a GUI....".

Cheers,

Quote:
Winrar - boo winzip

Agreed, simply because they 'broke' the .zip file standard with their latest release. Now, .zip files created with PKware's tools (depending on settings used to create file) can be incompatible with WinZip.

Hi Gang,

I think that both of the companies have done a major disservice to the Zip format. They should have at least changed the format extensions to ".PKZ" (PKWare) and ".WZip" (WinZip).

However what this really is, is reason number two that the zip format is dwindling We'll all be using 7-Zip another 5 years anywhow so in a certain sense this doesn't really matter. Also as far as the integrity of the zip format goes, almost no-one ever encrypts zip files anyhow, at least not on download sites so the publicly accesible file format is as stable as ever, it's just not as tight as other formats like Rar and better still 7-Zip.

Also WinRar is a good tool, features better compression, and encodes in multiple formats. However it's a pro tool and is far too litered with features to be easy to use for the average Joe. Simplicity is the main and perhaps only advantage to WinZip. Although personally I think WinRar and everybody that else that doesn't yet support .7z needs to get their shit together or miss the boat entirely.

(just watch some genius will post and say .RAR is better without ever even having tried 7-Zip :))

Cheers,

Christian

huh? excuse me? WinRAR ????

WinACE can open (and create) more formats than WinRAR! I would never use WinRAR.

Give WinAce a shot. its definately better than winrar!

Nah, too bloated and the pic of that woman freaks me out.

+ .rar is compatible in both *nix & Windows. So I like to use the same prog in both OS's.

.zip is bad times!

I tried to zip up a couple gigs, and it's too big for the format. not to mention no spanne file support.

Been using winrar for years now and Love it.

I do however has a VERY CLOSE eye on 7-zip. In it's current form i don't care for the interface, but I'm sure that soon it willl get much better.

Powerdesk and Powerarchiver work really well together. The copy and move to that Powerdesk gives is really helpful. The automatic decompressing of a archive(.zip or something else) that Powerarchiver is conveniant(sp?).

Quote:
Nah, too bloated and the pic of that woman freaks me out.

+ .rar is compatible in both *nix & Windows. So I like to use the same prog in both OS's.

So is ACE! There is a utility called UNACE in Linux to extract ACE files. As for the WinACE woman, I can live without thinking about her, so she doesn't freak me out, lol.

I still recommend WinACE because it can deal with more formats (both CREATING and EXTRACTING them) laughsmile

Can UNACE extracrt Microsoft .CAB? I used to use PowerArchiver for .cab and Winrar for .RAR but overall .CAB seemed to compress better....unfortunately I did have a good uncompressor in *nix so I switched back to .rar.

Cab does offer much tighter compression, I certainly agree.

But, As far as I know, CAB is really unsupported in *nix. That's why I suggest you extract/re-compress your cab files into a more convenient form like ZIP or ACE or RAR

Hi Guys,

So about WinAce. Does WinAce support the only format that will matter over the next 5 years: .7z? I'm pretty sure PowerArchiver does.

7-Zip the freeware application works on both Nix and Win. As for the usability of Windows yes it's not that great, but once you realize he means "extract" by "copy" it's a lot easier to work with. Also I mainly use the context menus to compress files up and from a context menu it's not any harder than WinZip and you're talking to someone that' been using WinZip since the early 90s.

As for the zip format file limitations I believe it maxes out at 4GB. The new encrypted Zip bastard formats probably support more, but since they're just as proprietary as any body else's format I personally don't see the point. Who'd care about an encrypted prorietary zip format when everyone is moving on to to a compatible encrypted 7-Zip format. The fact that the 7-Zip format is open source shouldn't make it significantly less secure than closed source alternatives since they can all be compiled. However it's password encrypted so the file would still remain pretty darn secure.

As for the zip format not supporting spanning that couldn't be further from the truth. The zip format has always supported spanning (well since PKZ204g and presumably earlier). The Winzip interface doesn't support spanning effectively outside of Floppy disks. I think the v9.0 beta is better about that. The fact that you can't use 700MB CDs to zip up ones files in archiving tools really amazes me. Does anybody know of one. I realize that WinRar will break them into 700MB parts, but does a single archiver support CD burning already?

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn