Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zoooom

lost system partition.

Lets see. I had win2k3 installed through a dual boot. The system(boot) partition was on a different drive then the os. I formatted the system partition and installed linux laugh. I dont really care if I lose the os. Im just curious if there is a way to save it. The os is completely in-tact on another partition. I tried loading the os through lilo using the following lines..

other="./dev/hda5"

label="NT"

However it just hangs when i do that. Is that ntldr file stored on the system partition? Why cant I get it to boot?

When you reformated the "boot" drive with linux, you killed the ntldr file on the partition. Even though you installed the win2k3 on a second drive or partition, the ntldr file always goes on the "boot" partition or "boot" drive.

See thats what i figured. Do you have any idea how to repair it or is it lost?

put the drive in a second computer as a slave - use a program called r-studio smile if needed (as in can not decte it via windows explorer or computer manegment.

it rules and recoved my drive that windows said was not even formated!

I suspect all that is missing is NTLDR and NTDETECT. Try booting from your 2003 CD and choosing to 'Repair' the current install.