Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

Which files can contain version information? (EXE, DLL, OCX

Hi Gang,

I was wondering if people know of any version info embedded files that are supported by Windows and aren't listed below:

*.EXE

*.COM

*.DLL

*.OCX

*.SYS

Does anyone know any other extensions to add to my list? Also if somebody knows an MSKB article on this topic that'd be most helpful.

Thanks in Advance,

Christian Blackburn

Christian, hey long time no post wink

Here are some I've come across, just looking in my system32 folder and I sorted by filetype extension:

.acm

.ax

.cpl

.cpk

.drv

.lrc

.olb

.qts

.qtx

.scr

.tlb

.tsp

.vxd

I'm sure there are more even then this laugh

Hi Gang,

It's me again still no replies so I have to assume one of two things either I covered all the bases or most people didn't know what in the hell I was talking about. Just in case it's that latter here's a screenshot:

Version%20Info.gif

Also what kind of an idiot would call his company sinner computing ? I'm an atheist and even I think "sinner" has a negative connotation. That's gotta be bad for business.

Hope that helps ;(,

Christian

Hi Jmmijo,

I remember you, we chatted about CD-RW manufacturers one time. How did you know all those file types? Did you just start playing with them to answer me or are you extra observant? Or do you have a tool that searches for that or something? Or do you have explorer displaying the version number along with the date, time, and etc.? I should have rememberd that VXD and DRV files are versioned I used to work with drivers at Microsoft for crying out loud smile. Course it was years ago now. I did however notice that you can't get the version info on a VXD file on the NT platform. I realize VXD files violate NT's security model, but shouldn't it still yeild the version info? Oh well. I wonder if I can't write my own code to get my app to detect the version info on its own for the NT Platform.

Cheers,

Christian

Hey I found two more file types:

.SFX - 7-Zip

.E32 - Inno Setup

However both of these files are nothing, but masked .exe files so that's how I knew they would have version info, but I didn't know the OS was going to cooperate and display the file versions.

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn

Quote:
Hi Jmmijo,
I remember you, we chatted about CD-RW manufacturers one time. How did you know all those file types? Did you just start playing with them to answer me or are you extra observant? Or do you have a tool that searches for that or something? Or do you have explorer displaying the version number along with the date, time, and etc.? I should have rememberd that VXD and DRV files are versioned I used to work with drivers at Microsoft for crying out loud smile. Course it was years ago now. I did however notice that you can't get the version info on a VXD file on the NT platform. I realize VXD files violate NT's security model, but shouldn't it still yeild the version info? Oh well. I wonder if I can't write my own code to get my app to detect the version info on its own for the NT Platform.
Cheers,
Christian

I'm all of these things plus more laugh

I just use Explorer in View Details mode and then sort by file type. Then right mouse click and check for the presence of a Version tab wink

Hi Jmmijo,

Okay well it sounds like you were going to the same lengths I was, but without my need to make it work. How kind of you! Thanks for the help. I've decided that I am not going to support specific file extensions and I'll just provide the Copy Name and Version and Copy Title & Version functions for all files using the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\ Key.

Thanks again,

Christian Blackburn

Hi Copernicus,

Thanks for your help however, I realized that I don't need a list. I'm just going to give users the option of viewing version info on any file extension they want. What is a .PAE anyways? Anyone ever been to FilExt

Thanks for your help all the same :D,

Christian Blackburn