Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

more than 1 GB on a 700mb cd..???

i'm sorry if this question seems warez related but it is really not,

it is a technical question.

there is a disk called 5 in 1 that contains all of the 5 office system 2003 in one cd.

my question is how come a 700mb cd contains more than 1GB of data ???

i burned the iso and open the cd , selected all files ,right clicked and selected properties ang got more than 1 gb of files..

how can that be ???? ;(

well I have a dvd-rw drive that supports the new HD-burn tech that does 1.4 gigs on a 700 meg cd-r. Maybe they used that

Some may be archived in some form of compression.

I know the plextor Premium CD-RW can bun 1Gig onto 700MB CD's by using a special GigaRec technology...

if they were compressed ...would the files still be named the same ???

would the disk look exactly like it would if it were not compressed ??

I believe it uses some sort of crosslinking file allocation. In other words, some of the files (that are shared between each installation) are physically only on the CD in one place. However, the file allocation tables on the disk point to it several times.

Its quite simple really

All the applications use a number of the same files.

So by getting rid of the duplicate files.

Space is saved. hey presto. you have office all in one.

ms just like to stretch it out so you pay more for more cds. :x

copy right protection

Novalogis used this on their Delta force serier - 2 or 3 files on the cd would say they are 1, 2 or even 4g's in size when in fact they are not - it is an old copyright protection and MS could be implemeting this for some reason.

Quote:
i'm sorry if this question seems ***** related but it is really not,
it is a technical question.

there is a disk called 5 in 1 that contains all of the 5 office system 2003 in one cd.

my question is how come a 700mb cd contains more than 1GB of data ???

i burned the iso and open the cd , selected all files ,right clicked and selected properties ang got more than 1 gb of files..

how can that be ???? ;(

The Facts:
I had this problem when i tried to copy Office 2000 CD's using my 4X CDRW. if you look at the files on the CD, it may show that the size of all files are 650 to 700MB's, but when you try to copy it, for some reason they expand!!!

I thought it was some sort of Copy protection for Office 2000, (like windows XP CD may give you missing file err. during the installation if you have used the older versions of nero or EZCD to copy it).

It is possible to use some DVD Burners and burn more into a normal CD, but then you need a DVD-Rom to play it. it just won't work in normal CD-Rom drives.

Here is the question: Is there any way to use a normal CDRW Drive and burn more Data into a CD? (except overburn) are there any software that could do a type of compression or something?

Try Using CloneCD or DiskcJuggler - they can usually by pass this type of copy protection.

once i used Adaptec to copy a game that had the "oversize" copy protection on it.

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_oversize.shtml

This was used more back in the day of only 650mb cd's being out - but it does apply to today as well

Quote:
copy right protection

Novalogis used this on their Delta force serier - 2 or 3 files on the cd would say they are 1, 2 or even 4g's in size when in fact they are not - it is an old copyright protection and MS could be implemeting this for some reason.

Not in all cases. About 8 months ago I saw an "Windows Xp" CD, that actually had more than 4 GB of info, it had Windows XP Pro and Home, some utilities such as partition magic, etc..., but it waS NOT A LEGAL CD FROM MS, it was made reference to one of those "hackers" gorups over there, and yes, I could copy all of the files to my HD w/out any prob.

It has little, if anything to do with copy protection. The ISO format for CDFS allows crosslinking of files, so that one file exists (in a physical sense) although there can be aliases (in a file system sense) placed anywhere. If you scroll up, I even found a freeware app that seems to do just that.

how many files do you think Partition Magic and Windows XP have in common? I Have no idea!! laugh

I saw a Windows Server 2003 CD like that, it has all different versions of Windows Server 2003 on it (standard, entp., etc) and few applications too. I could assume many of the files fore those versions of windows are exactly the same and they could just put in some more files from other applications!!!!

I don't think anybody could fit my 950MB of drivers into a CD since all the files are different (and i use them on clients computers, so don't wanna mess with them and try renaming the stuff just yet!!!! ). :x

^^^have sene that myself

Windows Server 2003 3 in 1

also there is

Windows server 2003 6 in 1 - it has OEM and retail versions of the O/S on the cd

then ugot ones that throw in Partition magic - DOS 6.0 and other utlitlities.

amazing what they can do now a days.

hey guys

i had that windows 2000 cd with all the ver on it and it was more than 1.5 gb of files when copied to hdd.

then i had a 2003 iso file but that was 830mb and i could not fit that on any cd.

so i just want to know how it is done and can we use it to back up our data files?

No, unless you have duplicate files.

If your CDR/DVDR drive supports specific technology to write more than the standard 700mb to a CD then you can use but I wouldn't. Standards are for a reason. Say for instance that your CDR/DVDR breaks and you buy another that didn't support the tech.

It's better to just buy a DVDR and burn your stuff to 4GB or DL DVD's instead of trying to write more to a CD than your supposed to.