Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

Remote desktop thru ics

situation i have win2k3 with ics as my main network server

it is connected to cable modem and has private ip address of 192.168.0.1

i have another server 192.168.0.2 on teh private network

i setup a dynamic dns service on the main server so i can get to it over the internet without needing to know what the ip is. So now i can remote desktop in to the main server from anywhere on the net.

What i would like to do is be able to remote desktop in to the other server. Is this type of routing possible with ICS or do i have to set up some other type of nat in order to accomplish this?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=187623

As per the above article, On server 2 change the port that TS listens on, and change the way the client will check for that port.

Side notes include the Terminal Server ActiveX client listens on TCP port 3389 and cannot be changed. You must restart the Terminal Server before the new listening port becomes active.

Now the only thing is that I dont believe that ICS utilitizes port forwarding (???? never worked with it). If that is the case, just setup RRAS and use NAT.

ICS does indeed support port forwarding. in the advanced section of ics(settings) there is a list of comon ports to forward (Ftp 21 etc) and you can add your own. Make a new one (Or choose remote desktop one if it is there) give it a groovy name, and set the internal IP you would like that pot sent to.

i set remote desktop to forward to the address of the other server 192.168.0.3 and i have tried to connect to my public ip address but i still just sends me to the 192.168.0.1 computer

perhaps i have to try from somwhere outside my network to see.

i think i will go do that right now.

Quote:
ICS does indeed support port forwarding. in the advanced section of ics(settings) there is a list of comon ports to forward (Ftp 21 etc) and you can add your own. Make a new one (Or choose remote desktop one if it is there) give it a groovy name, and set the internal IP you would like that pot sent to.

thank you that worked perfectly just went and tried from my friends house up the street.

-Jeff