Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EuriMouse

BIOS Flashing - or rather, UNflashing

In relation to this URL:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/story772.html

I flashed my BIOS with the 5EH flashes - it's actually not improved my BIOS (the real reason I wanted to flash my computer was so that it would recognise the 80gig drive I have in it now) - but it didn't do that - and now the sound and my network card doesn't work. I think the best thing to do would be to go back to the original BIOS - if that's possible.

If so, does anyone have the original BIOS file so that I can flash it back to normal? The flash that I used was 5EH1DA1.BIN - a revision to EH-1DA1. So I'm assuming I need the EH-1DA1?

Please help.

EuriMouse smile

also when flashing it always asks first to back up the old bios before flashing so you might allready have it unless you said no.. You didn't say no.. right?! wink

S

The sound and network is not on-board, so that is not applicable... though, I thought of that to start with - thanks for the suggestion!

Thankfully, I did say 'yes' for the old version of the BIOS to be saved - so now how do I get that back?

And to the reply from adamvjackson: 'Have you checked in the BIOS settings to enable/disable PNP? Reinstalled drivers?' I have no clue what this is - please elaborate!

Thanks for the help guys - we're getting there!

EuriMouse smile

well your old bios should now be on the same disk you used to first flash the bios. So take a look on it and you should see the backup there. just flash again and instead put in the file name of the old bios (backup) and if all goes well you should be okay.

but try what the others are suggesting first. If you can solve the problem and still use the newer bios then all the better for you.

and in your bios there should be a setting for if you are using a PNP operating system.See what that is set at.

and also sometimes when flashing a bios some drivers might need to be reinstalled such as motherboard drivers.It's not always the case but sometimes it can happen.

S

BTW try reseting the CMOS via an onboard jumper (motherboard manual)

These replies all seem VERY helpful... I just don't know what some of the stuff means - so please be patient with me and let me know as much as you can...

Firstly, Tomay, what is a CMOS (I have come across this before), and what exactly do you mean? Can you elaborate please?

Secondly, thatsteveguy, I think I will try reinstalling my motherboard drivers - that may be the case, actually. However, I still don't know what a PNP is?

Thanks guys!

EuriMouse smile

A few terms, before the rest of my reply:

CMOS- Complimantry Metal-Oxide Semiconducter; That is where the BIOS settings are stored. Can be reset to factory default settings by jumping two pins on the motherboard, or by removing the nickel-sized battery for a period of time.

PNP- Plug and Play; On some systems it can be better to have the BIOS control Plug and Play hardware, in others, it is better for the Operating System to control. Plug and Play is the replacement for manualling assigning hardware interrupts, hex addresses, etc.

What I had meant by my original reply, is sometimes when up[censored] BIOS revisions, the computer can essentially 'forget' what hardware is installed, such as the case with your network card and sound card. First, before reflashing the BIOS, etc., I would try installing new drivers for the repected hardware, from the manufacturer's support web site. If that fails to resolve your problems, next I would carefully check all the BIOS settings.

If none of that resolves the problem, only then would I recommend flashing the BIOS image that you backed up. I personally do not flash any BIOSes unless there is a feature that is added that I want, or a specific problem is resolved. I do not care to upgrade firmware with reckless abandon.

Let us know how you make out, and if we can help you further.

I tried reinstalling my mohterboard drivers - which I think has made it worse. It asked me to restart my computer while I was reinstalling one of them and now my computer halts at the Windows 98 screen - that's all it does. If I want to actually get on my desktop I have to go in through Safe Mode...

There would be no point in me carefully checking the BIOS settings since I don't know what I'm actually looking for - I wouldn't be able to tell what was right or wrong.

The reason I tried to update my BIOS (flash it) was because I was told it would make my motherboard recognise the 80 gig hard drive I bought, since before the 'flashing' it could only recofnise around 30 gigs.

Of course, now I hope I just left it and made do with the 30 gigs for the mean time. I know that the computer is repairable - it's mainly settings - but that is something that becomes beyond me when we talk about the motherboard; I know nothing about them.

I really have no clue what I will do now...

EuriMouse smile (Still smiling...)

PS. A little off the point, but how do I make my DVD player play video's that I have burned onto CD? Do I need a DVD-writer? Can I not do it with a CD-writer? Can, then, I make a VCD - will it play on a DVD player?

At this point, I would probably recommend backing up your data, and reinstalling your operating system, given my experience with Windows 98.

You really have two options here, if the BIOS currently cannot "see" the full 80GB drive with the latest version, I would recommend you revert to the version you backed up. You can still have access to the full 80GB drive by installing what's called a drive overlay. Most hard drives include a floppy or a CD with this software. Basically, the drive overlay will load before your operating system, and allow full drive access.

If you can currently access the entire drive, I would NOT recommend loading the BIOS version that you backed up, I would keep what you have, I think that a reinstall of Windows 98 (or a newer version, if it is an option to you) should solve any lingering problems.

What I suspect, at this point is that when you flashed the BIOS, some of the basic registers and addresses got changed or reset, and Windows 98 didn't know where to "look" for the hardware such as your sound card and network card.

As much of a pain this experience has been for you, keep this in mind; It is making your computer skills that much better.

smile

Right you are, adamvjackson!

I have Windows XP on my other computer and could install that instead of Windows 98 - but I think Windows 98 is more stable... I could try re-installing it...

The computer doesn't recognise the 80 gig hard drive with or without the BIOS flash, so maybe your suggestion of a drive overlay might work - though the only problem with this is that you said it is provided on a floppy or CD given when you purchase the drive; I wasn't given any software when I purchased the drive... all I know is that it is a Maxtor drive.

If I re-install Windows, will that make the computer automatically recognise the hard drive size or not?

EuriMouse smile

Quote:
If I re-install Windows, will that make the computer automatically recognise the hard drive size or not?

Not by installing the OS itself, you will first need to install a drive overlay. Since the floppy/CD was not included with your drive, I found links where you can download them. Personally, I would recommend just the floppy version (the first link below), but you may want to make a bootable CD with the second image, just to have handy.

One of the features of the MaxBlast 3 software is as follows (taken from the Maxtor Support Site):

Breaks the 528 MB, 2.1 GB, 4.2 GB, 8.4 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB and 137 GB capacity barriers.

Floppy image:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm

CD image:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast_3_cd_iso.htm

Hopefully that will help, let me know how you make out.

smile

Important note:
Installing a drive overlay most likely will erase everything on your drive, make sure to back up what you need!

Thanks for the help! I'll try what you told me and hopefully things will work out.

Just one other quick question: if I re-install the OS system will that automatically recognise my network and sound card? I think it should...?

EuriMouse smile

Quote:
Just one other quick question: if I re-install the OS system will that automatically recognise my network and sound card? I think it should...?

That depends. Some sound and network cards have drivers included with Windows, some do not. Generally speaking, the drivers that are direct from the manufacturer will have more features, options, and better compatibility.

Another example is this: Windows XP has more video drivers than prior versions of Windows, but the drivers do not support OpenGL, you must download drivers from the hardware manufacturer to get OpenGL support. OpenGL is a display interface, similar to DirectX, which some programs and games are programmed to use.

Just to be safe, before you format, I would download some drivers and burn them to a CD.

Good luck!

I have the drivers for my sound and network card - so all should be well! I'll keep you updated...

EuriMouse smile