Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AlexBell

Xandros does not recognise external serial modem

I have a Thinkpad A21e which has a winmodem which does not have a Linux driver. I bought an external serial modem known to work with Linux, and have it working under Windows 2000 - but only after I disabled the winmodem through Windows. Windows says the external serial modem is on com1, IRQ 04, and port 0x038.

But Xandros does not recognise the modem. There is no entry for it in /etc/devices/devices.inf, though there is for the winmodem. The First Run program does not find the modem, and insists there is no port for a modem.

I was able to establish internet connection using a borrowed PCMCIA modem card. Because the port replicator I use does not have a PCMCIA slot I would very much prefer to use the Dynalink external serial modem.

Can anyone help?

What did the Xandros people have to say about it? Did you try any of the information I posted to you before regarding setting up your laptop and modem? What were the errors? What steps have you tried?

Thanks, Clutch

I'm way over the 30 free support period, and the Xandros support staff have not responded after a message three days ago.

Yes, I used some of the suggestions you offered to get Xandros reinstalled.

I don't see any error messages - so far as I can tell Xandros simply does not see the modem; as mentioned there is no entry for it in the /etc/devices/devices.inf file. When I go through the Xandros First Run procedures Xandros insists that there is no port for the modem.