Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tear

Windows XP embedded?

What is really xp embedded?

I have a windows based gameserver that all it does is to run hlds (Half-life dedicated server), a small mysql server to store banned players, a small webserver with php to display some minir stats about the server and remote desktop so I can connect to the server...

Would I benifit to run windows xp embeded? Would it improve my performance?

How do I work with embeded? Do you install it like the normal xp OS just that it is installed without alot of stuff?

Could I just install embeded and on that install my gameserver,database and webserver and have a really small optimized gameserver? Would that be possible?

You could actually run embedded XP on a normal PC, however the cost would be prohibitive as you have to purchase an initial installation kit/license which is around $1000 US (from memory) and then pay for each embedded XP OS you create with it. You actually create the image with whichever components you require from a database and can include third party applications as well. Embedded XP is based on XP Pro and software that runs on XP Pro should be able to be run on it. This software is designed for appliances and dedicated machines, in our case we are looking at it to run Digital Video Recorders (multi-camera surveillance machines) that we manufacture but I still haven't had a really good look at the trial versions we have as it looks quite complex by the time it checks all dependencies and so on.

Hope this helps !