Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

need drive imageing program

i have a hard drive that i need to image to a slightly larger hard drive. the image on the new hard drive must be able to boot as teh old one did. the hard drive i need to pulll the image from is formated fat32 with win98 installed. the only other thing is that the imaging program must work in win2k3. (many imaging programs will not install on win2k3)

i made an image of the drive using winimage but i cant get it to copy to the new drive.

i tried using ghost enterprise edition but that doesn't give me the options that i want. Ghost just seems to want to do big batches of network images not just a simple copy from one drive to another.

i am installing win2k right now so i can use drive image

i really wish this dude that i am fixing the computer for would just let me upgrade him. He is all like "i want it to be exactly like it was b4"

so hopefully the driveimage program will hook it up

the heart of the problem is that the hard drive is not recognised during the post so it doesn't boot. but the hard drive works in my computer with my abit add on hard drive controller. so i just want to image over to the new drive. Seems simple enought but i have been messing with it for the past few days off and on and i haven't gotten it working yet so i am a bit frustrated.

it is actually drive image 6 that i have and that doesn't work in server

but driveimage doesn't seem to work for me because i am not using onboard controllers.

man what a pain in the ass this is turning out to be.

I'm afraid as far as 2K3 and any Windows Server flavor is concerned you'll have to get either the Enterprise Edition of Ghost from Symantec or the V2i product from Powerquest.

Here's the real rub now however, Symantec just acquired Powerquest so I'm sure in a short time these competing products will merge wink

I use to use Powerquest's Partition Magic, and its "copy partition" utility. Works just fine for me, of course, is the HD is not damaged.

If you can see the drive(s) in DOS booted from a floppy then ghost will work. You just need to create the ghost DOS disks. Much better to do this kind of imaging in DOS instead of Windows.

Both Ghost and DI will work with bootfloppys you can create. Just install the apps once on a 2k Pro and you can use the floppys on any system.

/Toby

Fre GPL software to do it. "Partimage" It can copy whole parritions. you can download a selfbooting ISo and load it and clone away, free of charge. It's OS is linux but it can do fat/NTFS/ext etc and it has a GUI interface for ease of use. Search google or sourceforge for it.

While Partimage is a very good app I would not trust it for restore on a NTFS partition. It may corrupt the data since there is no 100% safe way to write to NTFS in Linux smile

/Toby

i slapped an extra scsi drive in my system and installed 2k on it then ran drive image. I was able to do the copy from within windows.

had to use my onboard ide controllers

the deal was the board on the western digital hard drive seemed to be dying. i wouldn't get recognised by the dudes computer so it wouldn't boot up. Some of my computers would recognise the drive. So basically the dude got lucky. I fubared my system in the process. But that is ok cause i have lots of backups