Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ryoko

Migrating profiles and policies

Hi,

Has anyone had experience migrating a NT4 manditory profile with custom policy restrictions (cant enter task mgr, no using registry editing apps, etc.) from an NT workstation to a 2k pro station? I will be doing a fresh install of 2k pro, then I would like for it to take in user manager (nt4 domain) the same profile path \\server\share\userprofile . The profile is both mandatory and also roaming. Without using AD and group policies, the local policy editor in 2kpro is limited and does not restrict all the things I need. Hence why I would like to use the existing nt profiles.

Is there any compatability issues I should be aware of? Can the user log into an nt4 station also and get their profile after I do this, or will I have to restrict those who are upgraded to the same OS until I fininsh my upgrade of the whole company.?

Thanks,

Ry

Have you seen this KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317367

HOW TO: Use the Group Policy Migration Utility to Migrate Windows NT System Policy Settings.

Though I imagine only the policies that 2000 uses will be able to migrate successfully over. You may have to create your own ADM files for GPOs.

I have used mandatory profiles in the past, but I have never had one for dual platforms.

Thanks DS3,

I actually forgot about this thread as it has been a while. Perhaps it is of little use to anyone, but just in case others who are reading can benefit, I did successfully implement this. The 2000 pro stations took the old NT4 settings pretty well, still some minor adjustments needed to be made. Using 2 separate profiles is a must due to the slight differences in the OS, hence each of my users is either 2000 pro or NT, but not both.

Your article seems to confirm that, however I guess that util might have saved me from the minor tweaks to get it going. Granted they didn't take too long to implement.

-Ry