Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GhostSpider

What is the Best Working Firewall for w2k3 standard edition?

As the topic said, what would be the best working firewall for w2k3.

i've tried few and got windows to an reboot loop. so they did not work.

If someone could help a bit smile I think someone hacked my server already.

If you think you've been hacked, get something like Pest Patrol or a spybot program and scan your machine. If you have no confidence in these, reformat your machine.

Then, if you are using broadband (cable or DSL) even if you don't have a network, get a cable/dsl router and hook it up between the modem and your computer. Follow the instructions about security. The router was never meant to be a firewall, but it acts as one. And, it is pretty effective.

Zone Alarm and Tiny have good firewall software products though there are a number of them that are probably just as good.

I supposed it depends on your needs.

a physical firewall appliance keeps stuff out

a firewall application keeps track of outbond traffic and keeps most stuff out

as a sneaky program can run off it's own stack a software based solution might not be your best bet. stay away from ZoneAlarm. Why? Ask your self why every review site that allows public comments has >50% complaints with horrific problems.

I suggest Agnitum Outpost Pro 2.0 agnitum.com there's also a free version

If you go the physical appliance route stay away from low end crap like LinkSys, Dlink, and SMC. The lowest cost entry point for reliable, solid stuff is

netgear.com -- be sure you get the pro series with SPI

if you want a bit more soho power (depending on the number of ports you need)

sonicwall.com

netscreen.com

low end crap is like PCS. it works when it works. People who back linksys are also usually the people who defend overclocking.

hope this helps