Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RickG

Trouble with WINXP Pro accessing W2K file shares

I have had this problem for some time now and wanted to shoot a question to some of the experts here on this fourm.

Logging into my W2K domain takes several minutes. I have a login script but it only maps a couple of drives from the server. If I login as soon as my workstations boots up I do not have this problem. If I let it sit at the login screen for a few minutes then it takes much longer to login.

Once logged in I can access the servers file shares and open folders and text documents and such with no problems. But after an hour or so of working locally then I try to access the same folders and text documents it has taken up to 3-5 minutes to open or select a file on my network drive.

I have tried to optimize my system using some methods that Black Viper recommeded at www.blkviper.com

I have a Windows 98SE workstation that does not experience any of these problems so I know the server is okay.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Windows XP SP1/ASUS P4C800-E/P-IV 2.6GHz Hyper-Threading /512MB DDR400/Geforce 4 4600//Dual SATA Segate 120GB HD (Mirrored)

Using the on-board 3-COM Gigbit LAN controller. I have tried to keep my system updated with the newest driver versions for all my hardware.