Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Problem installing/running Microsoft Project 95 on XP

Hi guys, I have been trying to get an old version of MS Project running on Windows XP Pro SP1. It is MS Project 95, I have the 3.5" disk version. The floppy disks are just fine, since I can install it on my Win98 machine, but on my XP one it just says "Error copying Winproj.exe" or any other file for that matter. I set up for compatibility mode [Win95] and got it to install fine, but now when attempting to run it, it just says Winproj.exe has generated errors and will be shut down. I set it up to run in compatibility mode [Win95] and the same thing happens.

I am guessing I should just get a newer version, but anyone know of some sort of solution?

Project 95 was just a repackaged win3.1 app for the then "new" windows 95 platform. I'm guessing that winxp simply has no "compatability mode" for that 16 bit app, its just to old. You should be able to find a more modern version (say 2000ish) for a very reasonable price on ebay or something, as even project 98 is no longer supported.

Yeah I figured as much, I can't really seem to find a copy of Project 98, the next version of Project should be 2003, so I may wait around for that.

I think:

Project 95 = MS Office 95 era

Project 98 = MS Office 97 era

Project 2000 = MS Office 2000 era

Project 2002 = MS Office XP era?

Is there a Project 2002? or Project XP? I'll check around on MS's site. Anyone know for sure that Project 2003 will be coming?