Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
patrickd

Add/remove programs problem

When I try to run the add/remove programs module from control panel in XP SP1, I get a Parser Message that says:

Value creation failed " at line 472

I can't really think of anything I changed that would have borked it up like this, although I did install Intel's motherboard monitoring software yesterday. Any ideas?

P4 2.6 800 MHz FSB, HyperThreaded

Intel D865PERL mobo

512 MB DDR400

Windows XP Pro SP 1

I tried restoring to yesterday's system checkpoint (before I installed the Intel software), and I still get the error. ;(

See if this won't help: "Fixing the dreaded "Parser Message: Value creation failed " at line 472" error. This is a problem with the file shellstyle.dll, which is included in most visual styles. Use the following steps to fix the problem: 1.) Go to your /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes directory, or wherever you may have your themes located.

2.) Go into the directory of the theme your currently using.

Example: Using 'Semplice' by KoL? Navigate to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/Semplice

3.) Go into the folder called 'Shell" within the previous directory.

4.) Inside you'll find a folder with a file called 'shellstyle.dll' inside. Now remember the name of the theme your using? (Example: Semplice). You need to rename this folder from Shell to the name of the theme your currently using. If you don't know the exact name, go to Display Properties, and try to Display/Show the theme, the name you see in Display Properties is the name you need to change the 'Shell' folder to.

Example: Using Semplice as an example, the Shell folder for that theme is called 'Shell', in this situation you'll need to rename the folder to 'Semplice'. Easy enough, right?

Note that for multi-part themes, aka themes with more than one variation or color, you'll need to rename each corresponding 'Shell' folder to what is displayed in Display Properties when you try to apply the theme.

5.) Now that you've changed the 'Shell' folder name to correspond with the visual styles name, reapply the theme.

6.) Go to Add/Remove Programs, and voila!"

Thanks, Sampson - you saved me a lot of headaches - got all kinds of solutions, but none so simple - or so correct - as yours. I really appreciate it. Thanks, again.