Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

[EMERGENCY] The IIS Admin Service service terminated

HELP!

Quote:

8/27/2003 8:02:56 PM Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A FTP The World Wide Web Publishing Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 65 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

8/27/2003 8:02:56 PM Service Control Manager Error None 7031 N/A FTP The IIS Admin Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 65 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1 milliseconds: Run the configured recovery program.

Searches i did related this to Code Red virus - i have ran numerous patches and fixes from MS and symantec - ran a vrus scan and the IIS still shuts down!!

In order to properly patch the system, it *must* be disconnected from the network *before* you run the patches. So, you disconnect it, reboot it, install the patches, reboot it, then reconnect it.

Rebooting the server kills code red, it doesnt write to the hard disk, only resident in memory.

well

unfortuantly - this system is only controlled by remote and is about, mmm , 2000 miles away from me frown

i ran symante code red patch - it foudn nothing, i install some IIS patches and rebooted, but IIS still goes down - it was up for about an hour and then juts turned its self off again frown

Quote:
well

unfortuantly - this system is only controlled by remote and is about, mmm , 2000 miles away from me frown

i ran symante code red patch - it foudn nothing, i install some IIS patches and rebooted, but IIS still goes down - it was up for about an hour and then juts turned its self off again frown

Then first and foremost, I would advise that you have someone do what I outlined locally. Then, you might want to check for other updates, run SP4 (again, if you already have it) and maybe even the latest MDAC (2.8) if you have any kind of data access going on in your website.

[EDIT]

Just found out this system only has SP2, so putting sp3 in now and then 4 if sp3 does not do the trick. - i was not the one who set up this system our devlopers did - no antivirus and it is a web server! and some people have access to upload GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

luckily our dev will have access to the server tommora (it is in their office) so they can do what u suggested, shall pass that on!

SP4 fix list

"331509 IIS Admin Services Does Not Stay Running and Exchange SMTP Service Repeatedly Stops "

hope this does the trick!

One other solution for the worm would be to stop and disable the IIS Services, reboot it, install the patches, and reboot it again. Once rebooted, then enable the services and restore them to their previous settings ("Automatic" more than likely).

^^ thxn m8

seem SP4 did it - it had a fix for IIS stopping. - SP3 did as well, but did not do it.

Scary that the people who our are devlopers can not keep an HTTP server running and up 2 date!