Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acidtwin

Connection Speed Drops

Hey, just wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. I Windows XP (SP3) my download speeds gets to around 120k/sec (which is normal, i am using 1mbit cable) but then suddenly drops, sometimes raises again then suddenly drops again.

With the same servers, when i duel boot into Windows 2000 i do not have this problem, it stays on 120k/sec through the entire download.

I'm using a cable modem connected to my computer via a networkcard, i had a simular problem with my old cable modem when it was USB, the cpu would spike up and the connection speed would drop, changing the modem from USB to a ethernet solved it and the cpu spikes, so it is not connection.

If anyone can help i would be very greatful smile

-Acid

Quote:
Hey, just wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. I Windows XP (SP3) my download speeds gets to around 120k/sec (which is normal, i am using 1mbit cable) but then suddenly drops, sometimes raises again then suddenly drops again.

With the same servers, when i duel boot into Windows 2000 i do not have this problem, it stays on 120k/sec through the entire download.

I'm using a cable modem connected to my computer via a networkcard, i had a simular problem with my old cable modem when it was USB, the cpu would spike up and the connection speed would drop, changing the modem from USB to a ethernet solved it and the cpu spikes, so it is not connection.

If anyone can help i would be very greatful smile

-Acid

You aren't by any chance using pc-illian for AV protection are you? Also, check the task manager to see what process is causing the cpu usage.

Quote:
Remove any protocols or services you are not using with your network card, including QOS

That made no difference i dont think.

Quote:
You aren't by any chance using pc-illian for AV protection are you? Also, check the task manager to see what process is causing the cpu usage.

Nope i am not smirk and i dont have the CPU problem anymore, changing from a USB connection to ethernet one solved that (thanks to these wonderful forums :P)

Any other ideas?

It cannot be a hardware problem as it works perfectly within Windows 2000 smirk

-acid