Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

What are the power-on beep codes?

I've suddenly hit a problem of my Win2K machine refusing to boot up when powered on. I just get a l-o-n-g beep, and sometimes a short one at the end of that long one. For a properly-working machine, it should be just one short beep.

It doesn't do it all the time. When powered on from cool, it refuses but when warmed up, it boots okay. I suspect it's a power supply problem of some sort.

The BIOS shows all voltages as good, though (well within the 10% tolerance and the CPU core voltage is spot on) and I've metered the +5v and +12v and they're spot on. I've also checked out the cooling fans and they're fine.

Could be a problem with the 5v standby, though, or the -12v, or even the derived 3.3v. Can't easily get to those, to meter them, though, when it refuses to boot.

I've not recently changed anything, hardware-wise.

So, can someone remind me of the beep codes associated with P4 machines? Are the beep codes standard, and can someone list them for me? Am I correct in thinking that a long beep implies a PSU problem?

One long beep generally indicates a memory issue.

Try removing all memory module(s) and cleaning out any excess dust/dirt then reseat the module(s) again and see what happens.

If it continues, then I suspect a memory module is not functioning properly.

I forgot to mention that the BIOS is Phoenix-Award.

My m/board manual doesn't give any info on the beep codes.

Can't imagine that it's the memory card giving trouble. Nothing's been touched in that area for quite some time and the machine's run okay for a year or so now, since I first built it.

When it refuses to boot I get absolutely zilch on the screen, not even the memory check sequence. Can't even get into the BIOS. But if I keep powering off and then on again, after 4 or 5 tries, it'll finally boot.

Obviously, an intermittent fault.

I've paid high attention to the venting and cooling. Also, I've incorporated dust filters and consequently the interior keeps quite clean.

Another thing - when this problem occurs, you can hear that the hard disk isn't booting, though the longer I delay turning off, I hear the hard disk doing some short bursts of activity.

I don't think it's anything to do with the graphics card, unless there's a dodgy video connector problem somewhere, as the hard disk doesn't even attempt to boot. I'd imagine that if the graphics card failed (it's been perfect for the three years I've had it), the hard disk would just continue to boot.

Actually, memory issue indicated by long beeps in a loop.. at least with Award BIOS. One long beep and three short is video card issue.

Well, I don't get the long beep repeating itself. And I don't get three short ones after, either.

Next time I power on from cold and get this problem, I'll listen a lot more carefully and, assuming the beast finally boots up, I'll report back here. In the meantime, thanks for your suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for that link, ThatSteveGuy. Bit difficult to tell these days if it's Award or Phoenix. It says both on the actual bootup sequence and in the m/board manual. Didn't Phoenix take over Award some time ago?

Anyway, have looked at that link and I think I have to assume that mine's Award, in which case it points to a memory problem.

Looks like I'm going to have to disconnect all the external cables, take the machine into the other room to have a good look at the m/board and its components, in particular the memory module.

It could, of course, be the 3.3v supply to the memory module that's at fault. A loss of the 3.3v would affect the AGP graphics card as well, since I know that my graphics card specifically uses 3.3v.

I think the problem's solved. At least, I'm keeping my fingers crossed about it.

Checked out the main DC connector block to the m/board this morning. Also, I temporarily removed the one memory module I've got. No sign of any oxidation of its contacts or of any undue dust around. Wiped some Kontakt66 over the contacts and pressed the module back in. Re-connected all the external cables, pressed the power-on button and ...............it booted! No long beep. Used the PC for about 2 hrs, then closed Windows down. Returned to the machine a few minutes ago and powered on again. .....................no long bleep! It booted okay.

I can't be absolutely certain that re-seating the memory module's done the trick. Only the next day or so will tell. But it looks as though that was indeed the problem.

In anticipation of its confirmation, thanks everyone for your help.

Incidentally, the label on the BIOS chip says "Phoenix BIOS".

You'll find that Phoenix Technoligies purchased Award Software a couple years ago and has been merging the two together for a while now.

You'll still find mobo's with either or even the combined Award-Phoenix brand on them

Mainly however, Phoenix does OEM boards, like those from Intel who basically supplies Dell and some of the other manufacturers with P4 boards.

Have you checked youe VGA card? sometimes it pops out of the VGA slot (sometimes very slightly), but check it out anyways. just pus it all the way in.

Ali, this is an old posting. The problem was caused simply by the memory module having partially popped out of its slot. Pushing it back in cured it.