Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PAPI

USB Compatibility Problem

I recently purchased an external CDRW (with built-in USB controller). I am unable to get this writer operable under NT (service pack 6). After a few hours with tech support and installing other USB drivers from the web, the device in just not recognized by NT. With that said, is anyone out there that knows of an External USB CDRW that IS compatible with NT? Alternatively, are there any driver options that will fix this issue? As a last resort, I am considering dropping this writer from a tall building. Suggestions???

I personally have never got any USB device to work in Windows NT server 4 with SVC pk 6a...

sorry..

(I'm not saying it can't be done but I have tried many devices ranging from mice to external hard drives)

Quote:
I recently purchased an external CDRW (with built-in USB controller). I am unable to get this writer operable under NT (service pack 6). After a few hours with tech support and installing other USB drivers from the web, the device in just not recognized by NT. With that said, is anyone out there that knows of an External USB CDRW that IS compatible with NT? Alternatively, are there any driver options that will fix this issue? As a last resort, I am considering dropping this writer from a tall building. Suggestions???

Nt will not use USB without special drivers, and, even that is iffy. I don't know anyone running NT who has had success with USB.

This is one of the very valid reasons why most of us have moved on to W2K or even XP.

There are some kind of updates (not from micro$oft) that offer support for usb under NT. Search the web... Good luck

Thanks for the responses. After additional tweaking and tooling with this drive, I have decided to return it...or perhaps this will force me to upgrade to W2K or XP. We'll see.

Thanks for the suggestions and info. After more tweaking and additional frustration, I have been unable to get the drive to work with NT. Consequently, I will be upgrading to WinXP over Labor Day weekend.

Just read this on the home page.

Quote:
Today I found out that Dell offers USB 1.x drivers for NT 4.0 with it's newest laptops ( D600 ). I just tested this on a Compaq machine and it works flawlessly ! A breakthrough if you ask me. I tried several USB for NT 4.0 solutions before but they weren't easy to use, gave bluescreens or they missed essential functionality.

It is a *very* strange experience to see NT 4.0 recognizing USB memorykeys, mice and such the first time. Yes ,you can hotplug devices and see them directly detected by Windows NT...

The driver package is called R62200.exe and installs several drivers. I wouldn't check Edgeport drivers as they are intended for that particular device only. Mass storage devices as USB CDRom drives, external USB harddisks and USB cdwriters are supposed to work too, I have not tested this. I truely wonder if CD writing programs support this feature.

I did test with a USB mouse, an external USB floppydrive and a 64 mb USB memory-key ( had to assign a driveletter to it and format it though ) and they worked right after plugging them in. Now only if I would have a NT 4.0 driver for my USB scanner...

Link: http://ftp1.us.dell.com/utility/R62200.EXE

Not tried it myself though.

Don_1 is right. Dell USB drivers for D600(R62200) really works with Windows NT 4.0 Workstation(Toshiba Sattellite Pro 6100 and other

desktops). I am using USB Flash Memory. lol

Well it worked for me the dell usb driver is great I can now use my USB Wacom tablet with my computer using dozNT using the excutable named

R62200.EXE from dell Brilliant considering some firms trying to sell the USB driver for lots of cash