Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Darn machines won't stay connected!!!

I work on a network sometimes in a simple office. 1 W2K Pro machine acting as a file server, and 7 mixed OS computers connecting to it via TCP/IP - Receiving a DHCP 10.x.x.x series address from a DSL modem attached to the 10/100 swtich.

There is a mapped drive to the "server" on each of the computers. All day long there are no problems with it. But when the computers are not active (overnight) they lose connection to the server and have to be rebooted to get the mapped drive to respond again. The internet works fine however! OSes included 98, XP, 2000 Pro and ME.

I don't know will have to look. But they never had a problem with the older w2k server on the same network!

Seems to me the default DHCP expiration time is 72 hours, but this could be different for each DHCP server.

I'm also thinking that for some reason the persistent connection option is not working or works differently between a workgroup setting, like you currently have and a domain controller environment.

Is the reason you don't have Win2k Server a cost savings matter or what ?!?

Could be that you may want to go back to this kind of setting as it worked fine before.

It's almost like the persistant connection is not working. By default Windows attempts to keep the network connection alive but perhaps something about the network or something on the network is causing this.

Did anyone ask you if this is the only machine having this problem ?!?

This would point to the machine itself rather then the network in general.

It is all the NT based machines. There are 6 and one 98 machine that doesn't connect to the server. It seems quite random, one week it happens on a tuesday, the next week it happens on a monday, then further into the month a thursday. I just got this client and this problem is making me look really bad...

I have set the connection time on the semi-server to something like 10,000 minutes of idle time before dropping a connection. I have hard set all the IPs, I have set windows to NOT standby or power the net card down, or even itself, I have checked the Event Log for anything out of the ordinary. I thought it may be the 10/100 switch, but why would it still give all the computers internet if it was malfuntioning? This is probably the biggest pain in the ass i have had so far. Nothing like getting a call, "It's doing it again!" "When can we fix this issue?" I am wondering the same thing! LOL

So are you using a broadband gateway box, like a Linksys or Netgear router to provide internal private IP leases or are you using the Win 2K box as a Proxy/Gateway via ICS ?!?

I myself prefer the former as it give you more control over the internal LAN with the web interface you can setup port forwarding/filtering, a DMZ if need be the size of the DHCP pool, all kinds of things. I currently use an older Linksys 4-port gateway box. This is then connected to a couple of non-managed 8-port switches and everything works just fine.

Of course this is just my home config, but you can expand it to suit any size business, well up to a point of course wink

So obviously you're not using bridging mode then wink

I no longer use mine cause I moved over to cable instead but I still have it lying around someplace. So does the 675 provide private IP's in the Class B or C range? I assume it's the 192.168.xxx.xxx range but I bet it can be changed.

Have you tried making one of the workstations static, that is provide it with an unused or outside the pool IP along with the proper DNS/Sub/Gateway and see if that machine behaves the same way.

I myself have two machines that have this done for FTP and Game hosting purposes.

CyberGenX,

Did you ever resolve this? I have a similar problem with a simple 98/XP/w2K workgroup network. Overnight the XP machine loses the network & has to be rebooted. Then it's good for all day. Ideas?

Carter