Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buscoTech

Help: Windows 2000 Advanced Server Net logon service

I got a problem with my W2K server:

I'm trying to get a clear error protocol but there is a problem with the net logon service: the net logon tries to strat a few of a second (some times more) earlier then the DNS server does and thats why he reports an error msg.

Is there a way to get a clear error log or the fix the problem by starting the service a little bit later then the dns server??? (if its possible at least...)

You must alter the dependencies for the netlogon service

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\\DependOnService

Add "DNS" (without quotes). There should already be "lanmanserver" and "lanmanworkstation".

In this way the netlogon service will not start until the DNS service has started.

This must of course only be done if the DNS server is installed on the domain controller.

If you are uncomfortable working with the registry, you can download a very nice and absolutely free tool

http//www.nttools-online.de/english/srvmgr.htm

Good Luck!

Quote:
You must alter the dependencies for the netlogon service:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\\DependOnService

Add "DNS" (without quotes). There should already be "lanmanserver" and "lanmanworkstation".

In this way the netlogon service will not start until the DNS service has started.

This must of course only be done if the DNS server is installed on the domain controller.

If you are uncomfortable working with the registry, you can download a very nice and absolutely free tool:

http://www.nttools-online.de/english/srvmgr.htm

Good Luck!

Well done...! smile It works fine. But: is there anywhere a data base on the internet with the different event id's and a discription of the problem and how to solve it...? A link would be wonderful...
Thx so far.