Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
el_vago32

Problem w/Thinkpad

Well, hello guys, I'm back once again, ehhehe.....I didn't know where to post this topic since there's no forum oriented specifically to hardware with no relation to the software, so here's my thing.....I got this thinkpad model 600 and the issue is that when I try to boot it gives two errors:

161 & 163, preceeded by two short beeps, then it will prompt me for a password (piece of cake), so I hit Enter and that's it, it says "OK", but then goes to a blue/white screen with an error message and the numbers 00161 & 00163 (seemed to the CMOS setup screen), and at this point there're two buttons available: OK and CANCEL. No matter which one I hit, it will go to another screen (seemed to the previous), with the same "ERROR" message, and with an arrow pointing to something that looks as a book (it seems to me that it refers to read the manual), then the paltopo just freezes, and the only thing I can do is to turn it off, turn it on and repeat the cycle over and ove and over.

I changed the backup battery, I've cleared the CMOS, and nothing seems to work. Now I'm suspecting of the MB, maybe it's damaged (no please!! frown ), so please, I need 'ur help.

Thanx in advanced.

el_vago32,

You need to ge the Hardware Maintenance manual from IBMs FTP site:

Pick Your ThinkPad 600 Model and Type

Once you've select your Model and Type, you will be taken to "your" support page, from their select Online Publications from View by document type drop down list, there you will find the Hardare Maintenace manual, it is a PDF file, at the end of this will be the BIOS Error Codes.

Since your on the IBM website you might want to visit the ThinkPad Driver Matrix for the 600: TP 600 - Software and Device Driver

wink

NAahh, I already did that, and I knew the meaning of the beeps, but no way, it just doesn't get into the BIOS setup.

Well, thx anyway.