Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Devildog

Wireless card w/ HP Pavilion 4420 Laptop

Greetings.

I just purchased an HP Pavilion 4420 laptop today. I also bought a generic Wireless 802.11b PC card for it.

When I got home I fired it up, went through the process of getting everything setup, and ran into some issues with the wireless connection.

I got the drivers properly installed for the wireless card, and it could see my access point router, but could not connect. It would continously tell me there was a wireless network I could connect to - I would select the network and tell it to connect, but no joy, it kept on popping back up about the network that was available.

I called tech support for the card - they said it was a bad card and to bring it back to the store - so I did.

I picked up a Linksys card this time, brought it home and the same thing continued to happen.

I did a full restore from the HP CDs, and the same thing happened again with the Linksys card after installing the drivers.

At about this time I was getting irritated, so I did a reformat for the drive and installed XP from scratch.

First thing I installed was the wireless - BINGO, IT WORKED!!!

Next thing I installed was the driver for the LAN port in the laptop - I was replacing the WinXP default driver for it with the HP provided one from their website.

BOOM - the problem was back immediately after my first reboot.

What's up with that? Anyone else run into any similiar issues?

I just finished reloading XP again, and I am NOT going to install that damned driver from HP this time.

Can someone provide some insight as to what's happening here?

Thanks!

Devildog