Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geoff McDowall

memory dumps.

I recently tried to install SP4 for w2k. It had a serious problem with a driver for my scanner and windows was unable to load until I booted in safe mode and uninstalled the service pack. Has anyone had a similar problem with earlier sps. Also I now have a very large highly fragmented memory dump.dmp file somewhere on my computer. If I can find it am I right in my belief it can be safely deleted.

Thanks

Yes you can safely delete the .dmp file. It's there for debugging purposes and there are some tools that will allow you to access the .dmp file for further review.

If you wish you could just use the small memory dump instead of the standard whole memory size dumpe, i.e., if you have 1GB of RAM then it will dump a 1GB size .dmp file to the local HD.

To get to this option, get the properties for your computer, then look for the Advanced tab and there you should have a Startup and Recovery button. Click this and select small memory dump, 64k instead of complete memory dump.

I'm hoping this is the same for Win 2K, it's been a while since I used it and I'm giving you the directions for XP Pro instead wink

Thanks jmmijo, Thankfully I don't have 1gb memory. w2k seems to have a similar recovery console.

uboofer. my scanner is a umax 1200s with firmware 2.8 which means I have to use the driver microsoft provides. Surprisingly or not this is the only time I've had a problem with an upgrade or an sp. they usually seem to improve things.

It's quite an old system PII 300 with 256mb ram with an 8mb glpro graphics card. But apart from games seems to run photoshop, Afterfx, and 3d programs fine.