Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Question concerning e-mail accounts... (Privacy)

Is there an option in Outlook or an option in another e-mail client that can keep to accounts seperate (as far as keeping the mail for each account seperate) and requires you to log in so to speak. For example..

Start the e-mail client

The mail displays for the appropriate account

I am going to be sharing my computer with my girlfriend, but my e-mail from work is strictly confidential. Any such plugin, program, option out there?

If you're using Win 2000 or XP the easiest and probably most secure way would be to just add another user account to the system. If 9x maybe just set her up in Outlook Express while you use Outlook. I'm not aware of any password protect feature in Outlook but Outlook Express has the Identities thing which can be set to use passwords.

Jim

Your right, setting her up with her own account would be the easiest and best way to do this. Thanks for the reply.

Hi,

Use profiles. Go to Control Panel, then select Mail. From there you can setup profiles(for Outlook not Outlook Express) for each user with a password if you want (in 9X for sure and I think in 2K and Xp as well).

That way you don't have to have separate windows profiles if you don't want to.

^^^

but will that keep the already downloaded emails seprate from her eyes securly?

if u got xp i would say a seprate user would be easiest - or even one just for your email type thing.

Quote:
but will that keep the already downloaded emails seprate from her eyes securly?

Yes, using the default NTFS permissions. For example, the .pst file(s) are created/stored in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

Unless both users have local/domain admin rights, then each others mail, calendar, contacts, etc. will be kept private, inaccessable at the file system level.

if using outlook express use identities and (File -> Identities) you can also password protect them..