Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Mozilla Firebird

I have never used a browser other than IE and Netscape but decided to try Mozilla this morning. What a cool browser..the tabs are simply awesome! I think I found myself a new browser! And the popup killer is appreciated! Anyone know of any major problems with it?

I am using version .6

Quote:
I have never used a browser other than IE and Netscape but decided to try Mozilla this morning. What a cool browser..the tabs are simply awesome! I think I found myself a new browser! And the popup killer is appreciated! Anyone know of any major problems with it?

I am using version .6

The only problem I have seen with it is that it tends to hang if you leave it idle for a couple of hours. Thats a minor complaint thogh. Generally its great. I love the feature that allows you to right click banners and block them. Great for 56k connections.

Quote:
Explain to use what these "tabs" are that you talk about

Well, if you have a webpage open and there is another site you wish to visit, instead opening another instance of the web browser (like IE) you can go under the file menu and select "New Tab" and you can visit multiple pages and go between them from within Mozilla by clicking the tabs up top (sort of there own toolbar) and all under one instance of the browser. It's really a great option.

Quote:
Quote:
Explain to use what these "tabs" are that you talk about

Well, if you have a webpage open and there is another site you wish to visit, instead opening another instance of the web browser (like IE) you can go under the file menu and select "New Tab" and you can visit multiple pages and go between them from within Mozilla by clicking the tabs up top (sort of there own toolbar) and all under one instance of the browser. It's really a great option.

Control-click will open links in tabs as well.

A) How do you get rid of the "select user" box that pops up on sites where you enter a user/pw

B) How can you default Mozilla/Firebird to save pws on sites, without having to answer YES all the time to the popup box?

c) How do you make websites remember your from your last visit? A few msgs boards im on, I set to show messages new since last visit...but it seems to not remember me from last visit, and gives me a full list of msg's (not ones new to me since last time I visited)

Quote:
Control-click will open links in tabs as well.

Thats nice to know! Any other useful shortcuts I should know?

Quote:
A) How do you get rid of the "select user" box that pops up on sites where you enter a user/pw

B) How can you default Mozilla/Firebird to save pws on sites, without having to answer YES all the time to the popup box?

c) How do you make websites remember your from your last visit? A few msgs boards im on, I set to show messages new since last visit...but it seems to not remember me from last visit, and gives me a full list of msg's (not ones new to me since last time I visited)

BUMP

Quote:

Either set a default profile, or only use one profile.

Quote:

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Saved Passwords -> Check 'Remember Passwords'

Quote:

Enable cookies.

I middle click the mouse for tabs. Also, I have the plugin/extension that monitors downloads and gives you shortcuts at the bottom to open them when they are done. Very nice.

Quote:
Quote:

BUMP

http://www.mozillazine.org/

They can probably help you there better then we can.

I was a total IE5 diehard until I gave up in sheer fruastration at popups and flash ads. Gave Mozilla ago and was blown away. Then tried Moz Firebird out since it was more quicker and streamlined without the mail client. So far I haven't looked back.

Check out its Extensions which you can install too. I'd recommend Tabbed Browser Extensions. Just installed that last night and its amazing how I coped without it. You can move tabs, set them to auto reload, lock tabs theres just so many options for it.

Quote:
I was a total IE5 diehard until I gave up in sheer fruastration at popups and flash ads. Gave Mozilla ago and was blown away. Then tried Moz Firebird out since it was more quicker and streamlined without the mail client. So far I haven't looked back.

Check out its Extensions which you can install too. I'd recommend Tabbed Browser Extensions. Just installed that last night and its amazing how I coped without it. You can move tabs, set them to auto reload, lock tabs theres just so many options for it.

You have to be careful with those since they are 3rd party extensions. I know in the past (maybe 6 months ago) I heard TBE had some performance issues. I have never tried it though. Extensions are definitely a great feature though. You can find almost any feature that isn't currently present in an extension. The mouse gestures extension is very nice. I believe that is the onyl one I have used.

Quote:
I used to like Opera more in fact, but am gravitating more towards Mozilla/Firebird+TBird lately.

Stay tuned for the new switch commercials, featuring APK.

laugh

Quote:

I am using version .6

well, you should also try Opera, my favorite browser, which has been using tabs for a long long time now wink

Yeah, I might give Opera a try in the near future.

One thing I am noticing with Mozilla Firebird, is even after setting it as my default browser, IE strill loads when a url is clicked from an outside sourse such as e-mail. Is there a reg string that needs to be changed?