Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Frog

ntfs computer on network not accessible?

ok i have a mini home network. Two computers fat32 and can access the shared files but the ntfs computer on the network can not be accessed although it can be recognised and can acess the other puters ! arrrrrrrgh

When i try to acces the ntfs machine it comes up with puter\guest which cant be changed and requests a password !

all puters are on XP

can anyone help?

thanks

Create an account on the NTFS computer with the same username/password that is being used on the FAT32 computers.

thanks for all replies.

How do i set ntfs permissions for those wanting to connect to the computer?

also do i really have to create accounts for all who want to log on to that machine?

Thanks

Right-click on the folder and choose the security tab. There you can set the permissions.

Yes, you must create user accounts for every person that needs access to the NTFS volume and the passwords must match (to avoid getting a login request box). Domain controllers function as a password synchronizer to avoid this problem. If you don't have a domain controller (Win2000, 2003, or NT4 server) then you have to create accounts on that local workstation for every user.

okie dokie thanks for that.

sorry to be a pain but one other question

is there not a domain controller in winxp ntfs that i can use? as it works with fat32!! any reason not with ntfs !!

thanks again! im a kinda new to the more detailed buts of networking !