Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lorddraxar

Does the Audigy 2 exhibit the problem of the Live ?

About a week ago my Sound Blaster Live! Value (hey the 1st model) burnt so now I get to work with the integrated CMedia audio card.

Problem is noise ratio, with crackling during volume changes (winamp, games)... and even worse very very bad buffers so sound breaks in Morrowind and such.

To add to the burden, the ADS Instant DVD stopped working like a charm because the clock of the integrated card is *very* bad. So, I decided I need a card. It's my sound system after all! wink

I got access to a local store that sells Audigy 2 OEM cards for an affordable price (very), but I'm wondering...

I got an ASUS A7V333... amazing board but I had problems with VIA chipsets and it got a VIA KT333 chipset.

Question is:

Does the Audigy 2 card produce the same crackling, distortion and even sound difformation found on the Live Value serie on VIA chipsets?

And is the NT kernel support better than the Live serie?

Would be glad to hear from your experiences!!

By the way here's my system summarized:

ASUS K7V333

ASUS GeForce FX 5200 128Mb RAM

512 Mb RAM DDR

Macronix Ethernet Network Adapter 10/100

ATi TV Wonder VE

ADS Instant DVD

Back-UPS CS 350

Chenming Black Tower

Enermax 350W Power Supply (two fans)

the other devices are irrelevant smile

That's a good question as I no longer own a VIA based chipset board now I couldn't say if this is going to be a problem or not. I can say however that I did have an Audigy 1 on my old VIA KT333 chipset board and I don't remember getting/having any of the issues you describe. I have read about them from numerous users out there and they seem to be more prevelent on VIA chipset boards for some reason frown

Having built many systems around the VIA chipset and using the Live! series cards and beyond I can't say I came across this problem. Perhaps next week I maybe able to find time to build a test rig and see if I can duplicate this problem wink

The SNR of the Audigy 2 is 106 dB - WELL below the threshold you should be able to hear. So any noise you hear on the Audigy 2 is more likely due to poorly shielded cables and/or speakers.

As far as driver support, I can only speak for the original Audigy, but they are top-notch!

Well I finally got it...

Worked far better than expected. The popping issue is gone. Buffer are okay even got some new environnemental presets wow... at least got to have some fun with them about 2 minutes... Not so many games use this extensively hehe.

Just hope the Instant DVD works okay again but I guess it will...

Will know tomorrow when I record this week's Robotwars laugh

Long live to Mr. Psycho!!!

HMMMM....

I just got done building a high end A/V editing and project system.. I have all Audigy2- Zs 's on two of the three dedicated comps and they kick major butt with no problems.

I have used Sound Blaster products for many years; allways with great results.

There cant be any residual noise due to the nature of editing and production I built these for.

Depending on configs and/or drivers you can get that

Wonderfull crakling crunchy noise..

"Kinda like white noise 'ON CRACK" gone wrong!!"

I have Audigy's on all my other 3 computers around the home.

Assuming that you uninstalled the old drivers: if not do so then if the problem still exists.....

Uninstall the driver /drivers and re install. Some times the drivers kinda butt heads when being added or removed.

Could be a bad connection as well.

Last but not least???????? I have an old sound blaster live in my drawer you can have FREE if you pay the postage... Is too aniquated for any config's I have or may come up with..

Dont have drivers though?? Good Luck

*Hope this answered your question; it's beer time!!