Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Prionter issues - keeps asking for login info - user / pass

Hey all

i havaa 2003 server print server. Last night i set up all system to connect to the printer - upon doing so, i was prompted for a user /pass to log onto the print server (via the network) - i put in the user / pass i use to log into the print server and it works, i also asked the computer to "remeber the login" - but it did not.

problem is, the pwoer went out last night and it seems all computers now can not print (the people using the systems dont know to log in with the info) - because the computers will not log into the print sevrer automaitcally even though i asked them to save the user / pass.

Anyways - i added "anon" access to the shared printer, but people are still asked for the user /pass to connect to the printer.

How can i disable this so simply one can add a printer and it conects and they can use it, done deal - so they dont have to keep putting in a user / pass. or anything like that............

yepper only a print server, for now! smile who knows what it coul

shall give thata try.d become..lol

okay

i went into computer management

Locals uers groups / groups

and under "administrator" in the "members" area i added

Anon = anonymous login

it has it in the memrbers - but i am still being asked for a password to go to the coputer even if i browse to it on the network even via My network places on Xp.

Under members it does say

NT AUTHORITY / ANONYMOUS LOGIN (S-1-5-7)

Have you tried to delete the shared printer on the server, then delete the network printer from each workstation and re-add them again?

I wonder if something got messed up, permission wise with the power failure wink

Another option is to get a dedicated IP print server, like those from HP for instance. On a local LAN you can give it a static non-routable IP address as it's only for the LAN anyways smile

Good idea, shall try that one.

as for the Ip one, the company likely does not want to spend more money ona printer. These 2 are not overly used, mainly accuonting, but one is the laser printer/scanner so once ina while support needs to use it.

i was hoping it could be adapted to a nic for that reason, shall have to look again.

If its an HP printer ... wouldnt it be easier to just get jet direct boxes rather than having them use an entire machine for just 2 printers?

In regards to your

Quote:
ANONYMOUS LOGIN (S-1-5-7)
, it sounds as if its an unclaimed SID ... in other words a lost account.

Was a chkdsk run after the power loss to make sure there wasnt any corrpution.?

no chk disk done, but shall do one

as for the printer

it is a crap hp deksjey 845c and asharp laser /scanner combo - neither can be fited with nic cards - and more or less i had an extra box lying around - as the comps are in the accountants office, and on weekend they take their laptop home, which is what they work from, which was normally what he printers were hooked upto.

no go on the scan disk or trying to re add the printers on the computers

i put anon access on the share as well as guest and everyone.. still asks for a password frown