Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Guys, memory speed types comparisons: Where can I see one?

Well, you have the obvious

the Speed @ which the memory runs @

Since u have your cpus @:

66FSB

100FSB

166FSB (AMD)

133FSB

Quad Pumped 100FSB - 400 P4 a

Quad Pumped 133FSB - 533 P4 b

Quad Pumped 200FSB - 800 P4 c

Ram:

PC66

PC100

PC133

PC2100 DDR RAM (DDR266mhz)

PC2700 DDR RAM (DDR333mhz)

PC3200 DDR RAM (DDR400mhz)

PC3500 DDR RAM (DDR433mhz)

PC3700 DDR RAM (DDR466mhz)

RDRAM 600mhz

RDRAM 800mzh

RDRAM 1066mzh

there mayeb 1 or 2 cpu speeds i am missing, but more or less the RAM should match the speed of your CPU as close as possible so u can get a 1:1 ratio and havea speeding system

not sure if anyt of these links will help.

DDR Memory Roundup: PC2700 - PC3200

RDRAM vs. DDR RAM; Does it Really make a Difference?

Further into the articles toms has various DDR's in graphs showing some comparision.

More Speed = More Power? DDR466 Put to the Test

CNET Labs' guide to buying RAM: boost your memory

http://www.ntsi.com/DDRRam_Explained_p3.htm

not much else i could find.

Hi Alec,

How's it going buddy? Are you re-employed these days? I am presuming so since you're upgrading, but you probably can afford to do that anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're focussing on minutia. You can't upgrade your RAM without upgrading your CPU, and your IDE interface, and possibly other busses like USB, AGP, and the like. So documenting individual performance increases from any of those factors would be somewhat silly. Why not just take a look a performance comparison of a P3 class system vs. that of 2-3GHZ P4 system. This will give you a more general and overall comparison of your system vs. what today has to offer. Here's a Tom's hardware comparison from everything from a P100 to a P4 3GHZ system. That should be a good way to tell what you stand to gain. There are D3D, audio/video, and application benchmarks. Check it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html. By the way before I forget have a wonderful 4th of july. So did you see T3 yet and if so how did you like it?

Hope that helps amigo,

Christian

Christianb, hey you have a great holiday weekend too and that goes for all my fellow American's out there as well laugh

Hope it aint too hot down in Sacto ATM. Been actually pleasent here in PDX for a change wink

Hey Jimmijo,

I thought PDX was an airport code and sure enough I was right smile. It was also my guess that it was portland although I don't know Where in the F they came up with "X". Perhaps you do? I'll be in Portland in August for the Internation Festival of Living Foods http://www.rawfoods.com/festival/oldindex.html. I a raw foodist and there's no place on earth where one can find such a high percentage of hotties out of otherwise perfectly normal people. You should come and check it out. Just come for one day if you don't like the women you can always leave smile.

Cheers,

Christian

I may just take you up on that invite. I'll check out the site as well, thanks smile

I wish I knew where the X cam from as well but you know other airports have some strange or interesting call letters as well, you know that one in So Cal, LAX laugh

Hmm, the link appears to be broken frown

Hi Jimmijo,

Huatulco, Mexico is HUX, but that makes sense since it's Huatulco, Mexico. Mexico city is Mex too, but I've never heard of Portland, Mexico before laugh . It'd probably be called Portlandio any how smile.

Adios Amigo,

Christian

Actually chritian - getting various ram types and perfromace is not really silly - if u use say a P4 platform, and then comapre the various types of ram

getting the ratio is just right.

For his P3 system he is upgrading everything, cpu whole nine yards, a brand new rig, as far as i know. - so comparing a pIII 1ghz to a p4 - the results are rather obvious.

1:1 is the ultimate goal, so to find the perfect DDR for your P4 for example it would be good to have a comparision of say a

P2 2.4 with each type of ddr as which one ultimately gives the best performance with stock speeds and even overclocking.

DDR3700 is not for everyone, but many like it - my mobo handles a max of pc2700 but i have pc3200 in it for overclocking - give me that extra headroom on the moemory since i am upto or can hit 180mhz FSB on my Abit Bh7 on a 2.4b chip. so there are various factors which can help decide as to what DDR (if DDR is the choice) of which to choose that would best suit ones needs on a specific platform.

Hi Mr. Guverment,

Thanks for correcting my link. I think there was a period at the end that was screwing things up.

Cheers,

Christian

Quote:
Hi Mr. Guverment,
Thanks for correcting my link. I think there was a period at the end that was screwing things up.
Cheers,
Christian

possibly, happen alot, esepcially when i use goolge to find things, it tends to lead to a dead page.