Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Onboard NIC Problem....

Here's a new and exciting problem with my onboard NIC.

I have the P4P800 board by Asus flashed to the 1008 revision bios, Windows XP SP1 and all drivers updated.

Even AFTER formatting and reinstalling Windows XP, I still get:

"404 Error: Page not Found" when trying to view certain pages on the internet, however, when I switch to my secondary NIC (PCI Slot), it works 100% fine.

What exactly is going on? Is it a setting I may have wrong somewhere? I have even tried selecting "Automatically detect settings" in the LAN settings in IE, and I have also tried other browsers such as Netscape and Opera, both give me the same error.

Any help would be great.

Definitely a strange problem, one I haven't heard of much before. It sounds like some sort of connectivity problem between the onboard NIC and the switch (could be due to cable, etc.). However, one thing it could be is a duplex mismatch between your onboard NIC & the switch it connects to (which is most likely to happen if either the switch or the NIC card is hard-coded to be full-duplex, but not both). See

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.html#auto_neg_valid

Could try modifying network link settings (per the above) and see if that fixes it. Beyond that, do the typical things:

1) Find the latest drivers for your onboard NIC.

2) Find the latest BIOS for your system (not likely to fix this problem).

3) Try the same system on a different switch port.

tried that already....and I don't have a switch.

I'm thinking the onboard NIC has gone all to hell, because it was working fine, then the next day, it wasn't.

Quote:
Here's a new and exciting problem with my onboard NIC.

I have the P4P800 board by Asus flashed to the 1008 revision bios, Windows XP SP1 and all drivers updated.

Even AFTER formatting and reinstalling Windows XP, I still get:

"404 Error: Page not Found" when trying to view certain pages on the internet, however, when I switch to my secondary NIC (PCI Slot), it works 100% fine.

What exactly is going on? Is it a setting I may have wrong somewhere? I have even tried selecting "Automatically detect settings" in the LAN settings in IE, and I have also tried other browsers such as Netscape and Opera, both give me the same error.

Any help would be great.

I have had several issues with Windows XP and network cards that all of a sudden start failing. The problem is probably with Windows XP. I noticed on several of my PCs that sometimes when you change things it corrupts the tcp/ip protocal stacks so bad that the only thing you can do is re-install the whole OS. All the OSs previous to Windows XP syou could uninstall TCP/IP and then reinstall it. With Windows XP they intigrated TCP/IP inside of the OS that you sometimes cannot make any changes or it blows up the protocol.

Give you a example: On my laptop I installed cisco vpn client on it for use on the standard NIC connected to my computer. When I installed the wireless card it would not get a IP or communicate with my network. After doing a system restore the network worked again but only if used the standard nic any attempt to use the wireless nic blew it up.

That mobo has the onboard 3com Gigabit NIC. What chipset is the secondary PCI card? Also you say you're not using a switch, so do you have both NIC's connected to a hub then?

One thing I've seen on occasion is that if you leave the media connection type on automatic, this can sometimes cause some connection issues like this. This is a setting under the NIC properties so you can check there for the current setting, which is usually set to auto by default, and try to change it to say 10Mbit/Half-Duplex and see what happens.

Another option is to try to uninstall the onboard NIC via Device Manager then reboot and have it redetect again. One other thing to note, see if there is a QOS Packet Service installed, if so, uninstall and/or disable this service. I've seen this cause problems too.

The secondary PCI NIC is a RealTek, the onboard is a 3Com. I have the 3com one disabled right now, i just slapped in the RealTek one a couple of days ago to see if that was the problem, and it was.

I've tried formatting and reinstalling windows, i've tried changing the settings, nothing is working, but i'll look in to it later on.

Thanks for the help.

I just finished saying that I slapped in the RealTek days to go to SEE IF IT WAS THE PROBLEM AND IT WAS.

In other words, I was having the problem with the 3com onboard and I put in the RealTek to test and see if the onboard NIC was the problem.

Therefore, it has nothing to do with the RealTek NIC

I recently had this same problem, but I found the solution. It was pretty weird. If my firewall was on, I couldn't receive any packets, but if it was off, the NIC worked just fine. (You're probably thinking "this guy's an idiot and had his firewall configured wrong" but that's not the case, here me out. If I popped in a different NIC, and disabled the onboard, the firewall would work just fine. :))

The problem was with the default configuration of the onboard NIC driver which can confuse some firewalls (at least it confused Sygate Personal Firewall Pro). To fix this problem, go to the properties of the 3com onboard NIC in device manager (or if you go under "network connections" then click "configure" to get to this page), and on the advanced tab, disable any and/or all of the following:

Offload Checksums

Offload TCP Checksums

Offload TX Checksums

Offload RX Checksums

These are all basically the same thing, and the way it shows up on your device manager may depend on the driver rev. Once this is disabled, I bet your NIC will work just fine.

The purpose of this "offload" option is that normally, the CPU will calculate TCP send (TX) and receive (RX) checksums, but when this option is enabled, the network card does it instead, which is supposed theoretically improve performance by taking a little load off the CPU. The problem seems to be that for some reason, the checksums generated by the NIC are slightly different than those generated by the CPU (different algorithm?) and the firewall seems to expects to see them in the same form the CPU would calculate them, and when it doesn't, it thinks the packet is bad and drops it.

It was a really weird problem and I didn't find much info out there on the net about it, so I thought I'd share it a few places to let this fix be known. smile How did I find the answer??? By calling Sygate's sales department (where they tell you over and over while you're on hold: "this is not a tech support line") and I told them I was thinking about buying Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, on a friend's recommendatation, but that he upgraded his motherboard to the same motherboard I had and he was having problems. I figured they might be motivated to find the answer if it might involve a sale. wink

Anyway, now that I've got that fixed, my P4P800 Deluxe is working great! The other day, I cranked my 2.6GHz P4 up to 3.38GHz and was able to keep it there long enough to run a few benchmarks, before I had to shut it down and go eat dinner. laugh

-Skier

there could be two common problems:

there could be something wrong with the Network Card Drivers (if the same adapter has been working before) like skier nemtioned, or if you use Cable Internet connection (Rogers, Shaw, Cogeco, etc. ) recently they have started locking on the MAC addresses. that means if you have two computers, or two NICs on the same system, and you have been using one for a sufficienly long time you have to call them and have them release your MAC.

I have seen this problem happening in southers Ontario, as ISP's are starting to do the MAC thingee smile here (they have no reasons for doing that thou, there is no point!).

I know this for the fact that some of our customers buy new systems from our store, or anywhere else, and their new system will not connect to internet, while the old one can still connects (or the other way around).