Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Hey Dosfreak? Got any tips on which services to disable?

Been so long since I have used win2k pro.

Im using Win2k pro SP4

That's on my project list for my ghost project (and once done I would post it here at NTCompat) I was working on at my last job. Never got around to it tho. ; ) For now I just look through my services about once a month and disable one's that do not need to be enabled. Unfortunately this approach requires that the user acutally knows the consequences of disabling a specific service. IIRC, There are a couple of guides on the net (such as APK posted) describing the services and their uses.

Speaking of tweaks and such, this kind of goes OT a little but I was wondering why there isn't a setup option/switch that allows you to install either Win 2K or XP for different platforms. For instance choose an install geared towards Gaming or a Graphics Workstation ?!?

If there is such a thing, then I think this would be nice to have wink

BTW - both you DosFreak and you AlecStaar do a great job helping out on this forum, not sure how many users thank you for it but I'm thanking you both for it right now laugh

Quote:
Speaking of tweaks and such, this kind of goes OT a little but I was wondering why there isn't a setup option/switch that allows you to install either Win 2K or XP for different platforms. For instance choose an install geared towards Gaming or a Graphics Workstation ?!?

This is one of the areas in which Linux Excels. Why MS doesn't do this? Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps to distingusish their product from Linux they go for a "Less options is better approach" on install for less confusion.

well any ADSL home users out there that can tell me what services they turn off or set to manual?

Quote:

This is one of the areas in which Linux Excels. Why MS doesn't do this? Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps to distingusish their product from Linux they go for a "Less options is better approach" on install for less confusion.

Yes I noticed that when I install Red Hat it asks me what kind of machine to setup for, this is nice smile

@pr-man, depends on the kind of box you're running. I would however turn off *all* file/printer sharing for sure. I myself also shut off *all* the auto updates and the remote desktop/registry services. Why tempt the hands of fate wink

well any ADSL home users out there that can tell me what services they turn off or set to manual?