Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nick601

Powering up Problem

i am currently trying to fix a computer that has the following problem

When i turn the computer on, there are no beeps and no display appears on the screen. I have checked all cables, replaced power supply, reseated processor and memory and replaced graphics cards and tried to get some life out of it however everytime i do this nothing appears on the screen

the computer does not actually boot as there are no beeping noises and although you can hear the hard disk speed up when you first turn it on, there is no hrd disk activity after this

Is the motherboard dead? this is what i am assuming right now! could it be the processor??

It could be either the motherboard or the processor, unfortunately I don't think that there is a BIOS beep code for "fried CPU".

Do you have another (working) motherboard that you can swap the CPU into?

The hard drives spin up, which is good, that means the PSU is okay - but do you have any fans plugged into the motherboard fan headers? Do they spin up? (checks whether the motherboard is getting power)

Just a couple of suggestions - but it looks as though you'll be in the market for a new CPU or mobo frown

Rgds

AndyF

Unplug everything from the mobo except ram, keyboard, graphic card, monitor and cpu.

Still nothing.

Did you try to reset cmos?

Replace the batery. Some mobos won't boot if they don't have a working battery.

Try another cpu or mobo.

I had something like this happen to me. I did everything and finnally noticed that the power supply somehow was switched from 120v to 220v. Switched it back to 120v and everything worked fine.

Quote:
I had something like this happen to me. I did everything and finnally noticed that the power supply somehow was switched from 120v to 220v. Switched it back to 120v and everything worked fine.

Except that, being that Nick is from the UK, he is already using 240V. If he switched his PSU to 120V, it would most likely explode and start to emit nasty smelling smoke. That kind of thing is fairly noticeable laugh

Rgds
AndyF

PS Apologies for the sarcasm, it's been a long day at work...

Quote:
Unplug everything from the mobo except ram, keyboard, graphic card, monitor and cpu.

Still nothing.

Did you try to reset cmos?

Replace the batery. Some mobos won't boot if they don't have a working battery.

Try another cpu or mobo.

I find it best to even remove the gfx card and the ram, so you have just the mobo, cpu and power supply only. Then see if you do get a beep code outta the the mobo. If so, does it give a standard post code of either no gfx card or no ram installed error. If so then you plug in either the gfx card or the ram and repeat the process. I've found many a bad/flaky stick of ram that would not allow the mobo to post properly when installed.

If the computer is a SlotA based P3 or P4, you know the CPU is plugged in a slot ans if perpendicular to the motherboard, then usually if the CPU is dead, the cpu fans are too...

Some boards have diagnostic lights, but since you didn't mention, I guess there aren't any...

But could you tell the model of your motherboard?

I saw a lot of MSI based board (the K7T-Turbo most) just dying for no apparent reason.

It might seems stupid but... remove the CPU then power the motherboard again. When lacking CPU or memory, most boards just beep.

You may also check that your lithium battery is working, just test it with a voltmeter (5V scale). I don't know why but a lot of board are just plain dead when that battery isn't connected properly. (rust on the contacts may disable it)

Quote:
Check your bios chip, can cause same problems.
tmarsh
My money's on the battery. I say spend the $3 for a new one and pop see if it works.

ok the motherboard is a KT7 Pro Version 1

there are 4 diagnostic lights between the parallel ports and the onboard sound - When the pwer is switched on all of the lights light up red, accoring to the manual this means that "system power is ON" !!

i have tried changing the bios battery over and there is still nothing appraring on the screen when the computer powers up

its a socket 462 processor and its an AMD chip

Its a VIA Chipset and an AWARD bios

The memory type is PC100 and the amount of memory inside is 64Mb

This means it's hanging before BIOS initialisation - which probably means you've got a fried processor... frown

AndyF

i have tried a processor from an identical computer in there and it still doesnt work so dont think its the processor, more like the motherboard i think