Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

How to get the local clipboard function to work?

I have 3 PCs on a lan using IPX

1. XP Home SP1

2. NT4 SP6a

3. XP Pro SP1

Now when I load the clipboard viewer on the NT PC I can see both the local and standard clipboard pages. However on both XP PCs only the standard clipboard page shows and all the menu options are greyed out.

Are there any extra services, security polices, windows components, or network protocols that need to be installed for this feature to work?

All user accounts have admin rights and have accounts with the same name and access rights set up on all the other machines.

I haven't touched the security polices or service settings on either the NT4 or XP Home PC. But on my own XP Pro PC I have uninstalled some Windows compoments, disabled some services (but non relating to DDE or Clipboard) and changed some settings in the local security policy (only relating to blank password logon and recovery console though).

Can anyone tell me how to set up this feature properly please? Also features such as remote shutdown and remote registry fail to work as well.

NetDDE and related services are running on both machines but I only get the local clipboard on the NT PC.

Are you sure it doesn't rely on TCP/IP?

I can connect from the NT PC to the XP one via the clipboard, but on both machines most of the menu options are greyed out, so I can't share any information copied to the clipboard anyhow.

Nope no domain here! laugh Just a mixed OS workgroup

I will try switching the lan over to TCP/IP tempoarily to see if that makes a difference (use IPX for security reasons).

If it is a policy setting is it likely to be a per user or a system wide restriction? In either case which registry keys are involved or do I have to go through group polices? (which to my knowledge I haven't applied).

Well I tried it with TCP and it made no difference frown

I already have admin accounts mirrored on each machine like you suggest so rights shouldn't be a problem.

This looks more like a policy setting as it appears to be a problem on both XP machines when the NT one would work fine.

I also discovered this in the event log, don't know if it would be of any use:

NETDDE

Listen failed: 23: The ncb_lana_num member did not specify a valid network number.

I've found that Microsoft has a lot of KB articles and I've tweaked my searches on it and can find most anything related to any of their products. I guess not many like to use their site but hey, they made the OS and so many of the apps that people are asking questions about, so why not go to the source wink

Well it seems I need an updated netbios.sys file for my XP PCs

Since my version does not match the one on the MS Website. Odd I have SP1.

And even if I do manage to get hold of it... how do I overwrite the one in the system32\drivers dir without WFP kicking in? On this PC I can use the recovery console for such functions.. on my parents PC thats not an option.

Any ideas?

If it's a hofix update, then this should take care of this for you wink

The article says it was included in Service Pack 1 for Windows XP (which is what I am running).

But the filesize and version of the one listed on the site does not match the one on my PC.

MS KB: Netbios.sys, 5.1.2600.28 (version) 135,296 (size).

On my PC in <system32\drivers\>: Netbios.sys, 5.1.2600.1106, 33,152.

I checked the version in the servicepackfiles folder against the one in system32\drivers and they are both identical.

You could try re-installing SP1 again, perhaps get the Network install version instead of the quick install version. Be sure you have a fast connection as this is 100MB+ frown

I did have the network install version (I downloaded it on a 56k connection).

Read my above post, the version of the file on my system and the one included in my service pack are the same. But these not the same as the one referenced by Microsoft on their site.