Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
poppet

Virus Fragments in User Profile

Hello Everyone - glad I found this forum it is excellent.

Can anyone help with reccuring virus fragments in a users profile?

I have a user on our network using a Windows XP laptop. He uses offline file syncronisation.

The virus fragments (about 9 or 10 different viruses) are in the C:\Windows\CSC directory. I have browsed this forum and found the answer to why I could never find the CSC folder!

I have tried rebuilding the laptop completely (obviously obliterating the local profile) and blowing away his roaming profile. But on completetion of the rebuild, after logging him back on the same thing happened.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to remove these virus fragments??? We do use Sophos Anti-Virus and although this picks up the viruses it cannot seem to remove them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Try using the Full free version of Grisoft's AVG virus scanner from www.grisoft.com.

Before downloading I would recommend turning off system restore in the system properties, system restore tab.

Once it is installed, boot into safe mode and pull up a command prompt.

Type in the following to enter into its 'DOS' based scanner, and see if it helps.

C:\progra~1 (enter)

cd grisoft (enter)

cd avg6 (enter)

avg (enter)

This free tool has saved my bacon many times. We also have recently used a tool from pcguardian if I remember correctly.