ASUS P4P800 w celeron & dual channel DDR

I'm planing to get a new system.

ASUS P4P800 i865PE

Celeron 2,4 GHz

2x transcendent DDR 333 or 400

Maxtor 80GB 6Y080L0

CD-R/W*52 LG-8520B | IDE 52/24/52

Giga Cube ATI RADEON 9600 PRO128MB

What I ask you is will I be able to use dual channel DDR with a celeron processor? I know it won't go over 333MHz cos you need a 800fsb to go to DDR400.

I know I should get a P4 2,4/800 but it costs twice as much as the celeron 2,4 and it sure ain't twice as fast.

What about the ATI radeon 9600 is it any faster than the 9500?

Any other comments?

Nope

IT has to use a 800 or 533FSB to use the Dual channel.

Just buy a 2.4c Bro

Get the most out of your componenets for 70 bucks more

And it is twice as fast. More cache, 800FSB

The 9600 is the better buy at stock speeds and if you can get for the same price.

Actually you can use a 400Mhz FSB chip with dual-channel memory:

400Mhz FSB - Dual Channel PC2100

533Mhz FSB - Dual Channel PC2700

800Mhz FSB - DUal Channel PC3200

However, unless you are on a real tight budget just get a Northwood C CPU - 800Mhz HT

Even if your budget wont stretch that highm wait a month or so until it does smile

Get some TwinMOS DDR400 memory (usually nice and cheap and good quality) and you'll be laughing.

yes

NO point in buying a celeron if you buying all that other top end stuff the celeron will be your bottleneck!

dont do it!

get a 2.4c and overclock it to 3.2 easy!

Agreed. The Celeron is so slow in comparison with the P4's that they're just not a good value anymore. The Celeron had it's heyday, but that's long past.

celerons are still only good for entry PC's where all one does is word and such!

there is no point in assciating a celeron with that mobo! - complete waste.

if all your do is word and surf the web, no gaming, ditch that mobo and get a cheap board under $100.

Quote:
celerons are still only good for entry PC's where all one does is word and such!

there is no point in assciating a celeron with that mobo! - complete waste.

if all your do is word and surf the web, no gaming, ditch that mobo and get a cheap board under $100.

Don't seem like a complete waste to me. I still got the 2.4 celeron and it's not bad, not bad at all. I OCed it to 3.2 with dual chanell DDR at 333. 8786 3dmarks (3dmark2001SE). Sisoft Sandra 8309 - 1840/4207 ; 12649 - 16218. I know it would be better if I OCed a 2.4C but right now my celeron in running faster than a stock 2.4C. laugh

I just hope that the P4P800 will support the pentium5 comming out end of 2003.

that is a very nice O/C - that gives u a purdy FSB speed - but your l2 cache is still very low smile

also, if this person does not plan to O/C then they would be be better with t a low p4 as the l2 cache would help - pending of course how they use their system

I agree. If you can avoid the celeron, do it. It's a good chip but it's like having a 4cyl in a HUGE truck. It'll still push the truck, just not very fast.