Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

The 'My Music' folder has lost it's icon on the start menu

The link to the 'My Music' folder on the XP start menu seems to have lost it's icon (you know usually it's a pic of a folder with a music note overlayed on it). It's just a blank folder now.

Also the same if you view it in My Documents through Windows Explorer or in the Open dialog boxes.

I can't remember when this started. I had been playing about with Stardock's Icon XP before it expired, but it restored all the other icons perfectly.

The only other thing I can think of is that I moved my user profile directory from the usual C:\Documents and Settings\... to my secondary HDD. Again though no other programs or system components have compained.

I thought it was possible to change the icon pic by using a registry tweak (like with other 'special' system folders (ie Recycle Bin), but I haven't a clue where to start looking.

Any help appriciated.

It's actually stored in a folder customization file. Create a file called "Desktop.ini" in that directory, and put the following text in it:

Code:
[DeleteOnCopy]

Owner=CUViper

Personalized=13

PersonalizedName=My Music

[.ShellClassInfo]

InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12689

IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll

IconIndex=-237

Of course change the owner to match your own username. Now get to a command prompt in that directory and type "attrib +s +h Desktop.ini" to hide the file, so you don't accidentaly lose it again...

Thankyou to sapiens74 I already had tweakxp installed... why on earth didn't I think of using that first... *sigh* forever overlooking the obvious!

CUViper I had a look at the desktop.ini file and aside for the username entry (obviously) both my file and your description of it were identical.