Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

Intel to VIA

I replaced my QDI BX chipset mobo with a celeron 300A @ 450 with a ABIT VH6 with a PIII 800.

I'm running windows XP sp1, and after replacing it didn't even boot, so I did a repair of my windows install.

It worked ok except that he computer sometimes hangs on suspend or hibernation. It stops at the "prepairing to hibernate..." screen.

Yes I have the latest via 4in1 drivers.

I noticed that it still loads 440agp.sys driver at boot. (i have added /sos in boot.ini)

Where can I see the driver/services it loads at boot. Is there bootlog.txt like in win9x.

Should I do something before i swithced from intel to via?

I took an old hdd and did an fresh install of xp's. And guess what everything's fine, and it doesn't load 440agp.sys but it loads viaagp.sys and viaagp1.sys ;(

How to remove that stuff and how to know what to remove.

isnt the 440agp a 440lX/BX chipset specific driver?

And did you clean install Windows again or just move the HDD? Always when its a new mobo u shuld ALWAYS re-install windows, period!

No way I can do a fresh install just cos I replaced my mobo. It works fine if both mobos have an intel chipset.

440agp is also used for my intel 815mobo. Don't know why.

I just need a vay of telling wich processes/driver are intel / via specific and how to change them.

It's a common sense that replacing a motherboard will be followed by a fresh install of OS (and probably the only component)....because all the system drivers/configuration is much different for every motherboard, even with MBs which have same brand chipset(eg. both intel) or identical chipset but different brand MB.

So if you're still persistent on your idea then expect problems showing up....

Also it's HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED to change the chipset drivers manually, because there's a very high probability that windows will not boot (for example manually changing APM -> ACPI drivers, after up[censored] BIOS from non-ACPI to ACPI compliant)

Yes but it's just a configuration difference. There has to be a way to remove drivers previously used by intel.

I'm gonna try regedit, cos I found these entries under services.

I need to figure this out, cos I change components alot. This is the fourth mobo in this system, but had no problem before (all previous boards were intel based).

Changing a mobo and keeping the same installation is a horrible idea, period. If the chipset, AGP, and HDD drivers are different (and they usually are) then you should simply format and start over. Personally, I am surprised it didn't BSOD (although the suggestion of a "repair" indicates that it might have) at boot because of the difference in IDE drivers. Most people here are going to tell you the same thing, as they have all probably tried to rig this same exact thing at one time or another.

I am going to digress here. Swapping mobos is fine as long as you have a compatible HD controller. The easiest wayis to use an IDE add on card(or scsi) this way windows automatically has the driver loaded and will boot fine. Just mak sure the add on card is installed ad working in the old machine before you power off and swap. In fact, Microsoft fully supports a motherboard swapover as long as the IDE controlle is the same. Windows has no problem reallocating the resources for yur motherboard components and PCI cards. Then you simply install the mobo chipset drivers and you are good to go. The normal advice to "reinstal fresh" is typically based on the fact that the IDE controller does not match, and windows actually wont boot. So grab a pci IDE controller(Ive got 2 promise controller, they work great for motherboard swapping) and swap away.

I will reemphasize; Microsoft fully supports swapping a mobo as long as the HD controler is the same.

Too, I have done it without incident.

Quote:
I am going to digress here. Swapping mobos is fine as long as you have a compatible HD controller. The easiest wayis to use an IDE add on card(or scsi) this way windows automatically has the driver loaded and will boot fine. In fact, Microsoft fully supports a motherboard swapover as long as the IDE controlle is the same. Windows has no problem reallocating the resources for yur motherboard components and PCI cards. Then you simply install the mobo chipset drivers and you are good to go. The normal advice to "reinstal fresh" is typically based on the fact that the IDE controller does not match, and windows actually wont boot. So grab a pci IDE controller(Ive got 2 promise controller, they work great for motherboard swapping) and swap away.

I will reemphasize; Microsoft fully supports swapping a mobo as long as the HD controler is the same.

Too, I have done it without incident.

I was not aware of that. It sounds like a good Idea to invest in one if you upgrade frequently. I need to get one eventually anyway. I am using all available slots at the moment.

Quote:
Changing a mobo and keeping the same installation is a horrible idea, period. If the chipset, AGP, and HDD drivers are different (and they usually are) then you should simply format and start over. Personally, I am surprised it didn't BSOD (although the suggestion of a "repair" indicates that it might have) at boot because of the difference in IDE drivers. Most people here are going to tell you the same thing, as they have all probably tried to rig this same exact thing at one time or another.

Not reinstalling Windows after a Mainboard change is very foolish. You will not get the performence gain of the new board and/or system because there will be driver conflicts, etc. Don't be lazy, just reinstall the OS when you upgrade the board or whole system.

There wont be driver conflicts bcasuse you install the proper drivers after the swap.

Where, pray tell, do these mysterious coniflicts come from if the drivers are updated?

Well I may be wrong there but I'm certain that not doing a fresh install doesn't bring the fullt benefit of new hardware.

i never understood the big resistance to a reinstal

hell 15min and your loading programs, a couple of hours

later it's all set

i reload a couple times a year just "because it's fat"

Quote:
There wont be driver conflicts bcasuse you install the proper drivers after the swap.

Where, pray tell, do these mysterious coniflicts come from if the drivers are updated?

But the old drivers are still in your system. This is what i do not like

old drivers - reg entries etc etc

i cna format my Xp box and have it up and running and on the and tweaked in about, mmmmmmmm 1 - 1 1/2 hours

the onyl thing that slows me down is the windows installer!