Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
badenfelt

How to get higher FPS?

you can tweak stuff, overclock your cpu, gpu ...

I know that you can use diferent config files for q3 based games to enable and disable stuff. Did try to do it mayself but edned up without textures and with strange lighting...

But the biggest trick of all is ...

... Get a faster graphic card laugh

Yes, disable all extra option for your graphic card...

i mean AA and AF ....

it works trust me

in Wolfestain Enemey terretory when every thing is on i get 60 fps and

everything off with a resolution of 1200 by 760 i get 95 fps

of course AA and fsaa turned off give u more FPS smile also u can turn off eye candy with in the games options and run @ ares of 1024 x 768 and such

what is your system specs?

lol smile yeah forgto them that day.

sometimes i hate the internet because it lacks the facial expressions and tone of voice in posts to make something seem friendly and yet it comes across as rude frown

play a game @ 24FPS - complaints - yes

it is because games and televions use different settings to go between frames - television uses aa "blur" effect i beleive while games dont - there for it is easier to see frames in computers - due to the much high resolutions as well on PC's

almost anyone can see the difference between 24FPS @ 1024 x 769 compareds to say 50FPS. - the human eye for some people can see the diff upto 200FPS and higher - yes, - it is humnaly possible.

Maybe your problem is that your games' FPS are limited by the monitors refresh rate (RR)! Therefore you gotta set it higher and your FPS goes straight up!

Sounds easy ain't it? But it isn't in XP!

XP limits the RR to 60 Hz! If you have a ATI Radeon Graphics Card its easy to set that limit higher!

Just go to display\settings\extended\display and click on your monitor!

There you should see the monitor's properties.

Just set the maximum RR higher (maybe the resolution as well) and there you go wink !

I hope I helped you out with that!

If your card is ATI Radeon then you can get an over overclocking program that adds an extra tab in yer settings, Which lets you tweak away. But its name escapes me though DOH! Also I've been told that flat screen monitors only emulate screen resolutions so this could present a problem.

Quote:
it is because games and televions use different settings to go between frames - television uses aa "blur" effect i beleive while games dont

TV simply records real footage, and if not captured at very high shutter speeds (not framerate), then it will naturally blur if there is a high level of camera/subject movement. If "aa" was not a typo for "a" and it is a reference for anti-aliasing, that is just due to the fact that in real life things have curves, and capturing those curves in a real environment will naturally lead to edges having AA looking "smoothness". This doesn't boil down to the TV set, but rather the fact that live recording isn't rendered to try to look real, but actually is real.

TV does 30 frames per second, but 60 feilds per second. That is at it's 720x480 resolution or so it scans lines 0 then 2, then 4 etc then a 60th of a second later "fills in the blanks" by scanning 1,3,5, etc. So a complete picture or frame takes 1/30th a second yet each "half image" or feild takes a 60th of a second. Probably why TV looks better at it's 30 FPS than a monitor at 30 FPS (fill wise, not resolution).

Movies can go down to 24 FPS because they are not scanning lines that linger in our sight to make a full image apear as though it's showing up at one instant. Movies actually show the full image of the frame all at once.

But a movie your not controlling the view. Your the audience. In a game, your controlling the view, so more framerate is needed. Adequate framerate is critical when it is representative of a fast motion first person point of view.

Surely any tennis pro would play better in a strobe light that flashed 90 times per second than one that flashed 30. The difference would probably be huge. So saying a movie looks good and therefore 24 FPS is adequate for games just doesn't hold any weight.

DISCLAIMER: DON'T PLAY SPORTS WITH A STROBE LIGHT ON. THIS IS DANGEROUS!

^^^ yeah what he said!

that strobe light sounds funky! *runs out to play sports with a strobe light*

disclaimer - what disclaimer!

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

Go there to get the program then in the config file change the FPS to what you want..

or even the CPU cycles wink

I am an expert also working on an XP/NT dosgames database

www.dosgames.com/~wally4000/games.xls

also i have my own forum dedicated to gaming

www.dosgames.com/~wally4000/forum

and my email is wally4000@dosgames.com

so further questions about compatability issues about dosgames can go to me?

Is that ok?

Thanks

You should always follow a standard process when trying to boost the performance of any DirectDraw / Direct3D application. This is pretty much what i do -

1. Make sure my drivers are up to date and running good.

2. Check if there are any special tweaks or fixes to boost performance (with hardware and drivers). Make sure your AGP appature size in the BIOS is AT LEAST TWICE YOUR RAM. If your MB cant support it, fair enough, but if your computer locks up at a higher agp setting, you need more/faster ram.

3. Check guides, help files or FAQS on your computer / off the internet for any extra things - this could be alot of things. For example, in Unreal Tournament, the second CD contains compressed textures for higher performance / quality for compatible video cards. At the time the game was released, only S3 had this technology (known as S3TC). Since the latest video cards now all support TC, you can tell UT with some console commands to use TC, even though it doesnt detect the S3TC technology.

As i said above, this is the case with all games based on the Quake3 engine (Quake3, Call Of Duty, Return To Castle Wolfenstein) - quake 3 can compress textures in real-time. If you have the right system and config, you will get a significant performance boost. I managed to run Q3 on a Barton Core AMD Athlon 2800+ CPU with a GeForceFX 5200 128MB and 512MB of double pumped DDR RAM at 1600x1200 with 50-60 fps on a bot-match with 10 bots. Nice!