Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Restoring desktop shortcuts and left preview pane in XP

Running XP Pro

The desktop is on the taskbar. I can't figure out how to get it back where it should be; on the desktop.

Also, how do you enable web view within a window? The windows look like '95 now without the preview left pane showing.

Quote:
Also, how do you enable web view within a window? The windows look like '95 now without the preview left pane showing.
I know that you can do it in folder options on 2000. XP might be the same.

It's different with XP apparently. I have been running 2k for 1 1/2 years and love it (as much as one could love anything M$), BUT XP sucks!

Quote:
Running XP Pro

The desktop is on the taskbar. I can't figure out how to get it back where it should be; on the desktop.

I'm not sure what you're asking... is the taskbar hiding itself? Are the desktop icons on the taskbar and you want them off? either of these are a right click on the taskbar away... Also XP only requires the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop, all the others are optional. If you'd like to see My Computer, etc. on the desktop right click on the desktop go to properties then desktop then customize desktop.

Quote:

It won't look exactly like the webview, but does Tools-> Folder Options select "Show Common Tasks In Folders" set it to something you like?

I hope these help... XP is a very nice system once you get past the Fisher-Price interface (which is easy to change as well). It does everything Win2000 can do plus more.

Jim

If theres no icons showing at all on the desktop then u can try right clicking the desktop and going to 'Arrange Icons By' and checking if 'Show Desktop Icons' has a check next to it.

That was it! I finally found it.

Don't know why he moved it in the first place.

Ok, now about that left pane view. Doesn't XP have the ability to preview a image as all the previous O/S's had?

Quote:
That was it! I finally found it.
Don't know why he moved it in the first place.

Ok, now about that left pane view. Doesn't XP have the ability to preview a image as all the previous O/S's had?

In the folder that has the images, right click in the white space, choose customize this folder. You'll find a few different ways to do it in there.

Jim