Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
radx

Asus a7v333 & digital camera = no good

My bro just recently bought the C-350Zoom Olympus digital camera. This connects to the computer through USB. And once connected Win XP identifies the camera as an USB DISK. This is a feature design so that you wont need any drivers for the camera just plug and open explorer and copy your images right of the memory card. This all is great if it works !!

Thing is this, the camera seems to be OK. When i connected the camera to my Asus p4g8x p4 computer w/ winXP sp1. Everything OK.

When i connect the camera to my bro's A7v333 computer the camera only works once out of 20 attempts to get it to communicate with XP.

And when it doesn't connect the camera doesn't even start up like it should. The green led is off. And when i disconnect the camera and try to turn it on it's hanged. And i have to take the batteries out of it and turn it back on again. This never happens with my P4 computer.

I have also tried the camera on my laptops and works flawless everything too.

I've looked at ASUS webpage, downloaded the latest:

- via4in1 drivers

- bios 1016 beta 20may 2003 (i think)

- Windows update packages (my copy is legal) smile

And i've looked at Olympus webpage for updates of any kind. But there's nothing. And the funny thing is that it works flawless every SINGLE time on my p4. The usb ports seems to be working otherwise fine. The USB Webcam works and the mouse too.

There are as far as i've seen no USB2.0/1.1 updates for XP only for older operating systems.

first check the bios if the USB controller is all enabled, then try to install via USB filter driver....

Thanks for replying, USB ports cannot be disabled in the bios but only on the motherboard by a jumper.

I've spent several days with this problem now.

Finally i've reached what i prefer to call a compromise.

Whatever i do for winXP:

-disabled EVERYTHING on the motherboard

Includes Soundcard, USB2 ports, Firewire

-removed all cards i could.

includes Network card, scsi card etc..

Installed VIA usb filter patch 1.10

Installed Latest beta bios 1018 (may8 )

Via 4in1 (latest from viaarena.com)

reinstalled XP

Still not working !!!!

So last attempt was to see how it was under windows 2000.

It worked like charm at once !

One needs to know that this motherboard has both usb 2.0 and usb 1.1 ports. The problem occurs on both ports. Even tried with an extra pci usb card. Doesnt work either.

This has to be a serious USB driver bug in win xp.

I dont really care anymore since it works under Win2k. So bye with XP..unfortunatly.

I've posted in several forums and everybody thinks of the pretty much same things to do. I even went as far as to drop the computer off at the local computer store here, their computer technicians failed to help as to this problem as well.

Anyone else who've had this problem before?

As ending i can tell you guys the USB ports works fine with any other usb device i could connect to it. I attached two usb webcams at the sametime (wanted to really put load on those USB ports), one m$ sidwinder USB, one canon USB scanner. Not a single problem whatsoever.

Sigh...computers !

So did you install winxp SP1? It's very important to install this because it will fix a lot of problems including the ones you have. And sometimes USB drivers will fail, indicated by a yellow questionmark in device manager, in this case just click install drivers automatically then it should fix the problem

I had something similar with my Fuji camera.

Under Win2K the camera worked perfectly, with absolutely no trouble getting the thing recognised by plugging it into the USB port.

Use WinXP, and the camera wasn't recognised. Tried drivers, patching, multiple USB ports, USB hub, everything. All the hardware in the PC was exactly the same. Only the OS had changed.

I didn't want to go back to 2K, so I just bought a card reader instead. That installed fine under XP, so I just take the card out and stick in the reader when I want to transfer pics now smile

had the same problem with the neighbors via board with the same camera

but the problem also came around with the hp photoprinter so i narrowed it down to the mass storage devices.

i tried a simple flashcard plugin device but still no dice.

then i went and bought a pci usb card and plugged it in.

believe it or not that worked fine.

so i cursed via and bought them a intel 850 and a p4.

no real solution here but i thought i would share 1 experience

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes i have tried installing all the latest patches (everything from windows update, including sp1 for xp).

Not working either. Well.. i dont think i will poke much more about it. My bro is rather happy with having it working at all so he's ok with the dual boot. Just as aside note, do not install windows 2000 nextside to xp but install xp side of 2000 instead. Else 2000 will change the boot loader and xp wont work. Lol i did that. I had to install XP on a thrid place to just erase it once i got it installed to restore the os loader. And the new os loader is also of course compatible with 2000 smile

And yes, i've been thinking about these memory card readers too! Infact i suggested buying one. But its kind of hard to find one. He's memory card is a xD-picture card. It's rather new around here. So not many card readers around for it yet.

Amd sucks... intel sucks too. My p4g8x if i run it at 8x and fastwrite enabled on my radeon 9500 pro card it crashes randomly. How nice is that? I cant even use 8x ! And why?! Well after all my research it narrowed down to be a bug in intels chipset. And they do not plan to fix it either ! Proof of this? i dunno but here's the source: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/4804/

Peace folks smile