Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reece

Playing DVD's with Windows 2003 server

Hey all,

I installed power DVD and i can hear the DVD but i get a blank white screen frown

same thing happens in windows media player so it must be a setting with windows itself???

please help??? laugh

Insufficient data.

Please supply specs, drivers, PowerDVD version, other software that may interfere.

Agreed felix.

First thing that comes to mind is .... is video hardware acceleration enabled ... dxdiag will tell you this. smile

sorry for that guys

i fixed this problem smile

hardware acceleration was enabled but it wasnt enabled in power DVD smile

so thats cool now

pioneer dvd 103 :P

i have another problem now smile in windows media player all i see is white!!!

and yes hardware accel is enabled in media player too nd dxdiag!!!

nooo...now DVD's are playing purple!!

people are green and trees are purple

ive reinstalled vid drivers and power DVD hmmm still no go

Now I'm going to go with the next most obvious.

Remember that W2K3 is brand spanking.

Are you sure that the current video drivers are:

a) written to support this kind of thing in this new version of a server OS

B) supposed to be used on "this" OS

Has your manufacturer release drivers tagged with "Designed for Windows 2003"? If not, things most likely won't work as required. Especially for any hardware post 18 months as I recall the level of legacy has been reduced. (I may be wrong).

Just because the default drivers can display 16 or 32 bit colour at the desktop doesn't mean they'll do DirectX as expected. Check for 2003 versions of your drivers and don't rely on the 2k/XP ones working.

Just to humour us, fill in the blanks:

Processor(make/speed):

RAM:

MBoard:

HDD:

CD/DVD:

Video:

Sound:

AOV(any other variety):

This stuff will help. I once had a FlyVideo'98 TV Tuner in my rig and when I had it overclocked past 75mHz FSB the FV98 couldn't handle it and would not allow me to play back any Video files, even in games. Took me 3 formats and 4 sets of drivers to work it out. I was really pissed by that time.

Processor(make/speed): amd XP 1.53ghz

RAM: 512mb ddr ram

MBoard: MSI mobo

HDD: 120 gig seagate

CD/DVD: pioneer DVD- 103 player (slot), liteon burner 48x24x48

Video: gf4 TI4200 (using latest dets)...

Sound: ac97

i did a roll back from latest dets and now its all good laugh

must be a problem with windows 2003 server and latest dets

so yeah...thanks for ya help felix laugh

appreciated

I am thinkin its a prob with the ti4200's or at least the GF4's. Which version drivers did you roll-back to? (having the same problem.)

I think I may have found the answer. If you install powerdvd you must disable the power dvd video filters with this app then reboot.

my system

ti4200 overclocked

AMD 2500+

server 2003

det 53.03

PowerDVD XP

DVD play fine for me smile

there have been no reported problems with ti cards in server 2003 that i have read anywhere....

The problem only exists with nvidia based video cards and powerdvd installed on the 2003 server.

I have a very similar problem, I'll post my original message in case that can help anyone to help me.... thanks.

I've just installed Windows 2003 Server Standard on a home network (upgraded from XP Pro), I have also installed Direct x9b as it was required for some particular software I use. I also use the pc for a lot of digital video etc. so had to enable 'hardware acceleration' and the appropriate options in direct x (i.e. direct show). My problem is now when I playback any mpeg, whether vcd, svcd or dvd they play either red, blue or green or if I'm lucky a funky sort of 60's style! If I disable 'hardware acceleration' the colours are correct but I have to run it in a tiny window as it plays jerky full screen. Due to what I'm using the pc for I need 2003 Server installed and I also need this pc for my digital video. I am running the very latest nvidia drivers also.

Windows 2003 Server Standard

Athlon XP 1700+

1gb sdr

NVIDIA GeForce MX 440 with AGP8X (ABIT Siluro GF4 MX-8X)

To view the problem I'm getting >>>> http://www.nick.king.mvi-online.com/win2k3-arse.jpg

For a DXDIAG readout >>>> http://www.nick.king.mvi-online.com/DxDiag.txt

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks (nick_king@blueyonder.co.uk).