Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ali

My First AMD System!

Hi

I finally built my first AMD system. I'm not impressed with the heating though. I swaped my original AMD cooler for a vocano 9 and it is very noisy, even in its lowest speed. in fact i have a P4 2.53 and there are 4 extra fans on the case and the video card fan (all-in-wonder 9700 pro) and it is not as niosy as this 1 fan.

also i think the CPU is running too hot compare to Intel. It runs at 43 C / 109 F.

Here is the specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (i think it should run at 2000MHz)

ASUS A7V8X-X

512MB PC2700

80GB Maxtor Dimond Max 9

In terms of performence i have not seen any advantage to any intel CPUs yet.

my intel overclocked to 2.6 and using the original retail fan runs at 36 C. i'm certainly happy that i got the extracooling for this thing. I have to move out of my room if i'm planning to leave it on overnight.

well

1. AMD's do not over clock nealy as well as intels do.

2. AMD's do run hotter then most intel CPU's smile

2 facts for yeah smile

Quote:
well

2. AMD's do run hotter then most intel CPU's smile

2 facts for yeah smile

well, it takes a bit of getting used to!! laugh
what is the right temp. anyways? what is the Max. temp.? 70 C

if my intel ever goes close to 60 C then i'll be pulling the plug!! 8)

Quote:
my xeons run at 50-60f above oat @load topping out at about 140f

WOW. and it runs? 140 F is about 60 C so i think i'll pull the plug after 65 then! laugh

My 2200+ runs at 102F with AMD retail HS@F. Full load is about 115F. The only real advantage over Intel is price.

42 degrees is fine. Dopnt worry about it. they are designed to run hot.

My Athlon MP 2600+ cpu's run around 50 degtrees, no matter what Im doing. (Retail HSF + Arctic silver)

The real heart of an overclocking system is the Power Supply. A 350 Watt power helps a 2400+ to 2205 Mhz Stable. I think you might want to give a bit more power. I know, I use to get a 158 Mhz FSB on a 1700+.

my athlon runs in 42C at full load and 36C when is idle.i use cpuidle.is great program.try it.

My AthlonXP system here runs 33degC Idle, and never gets about 38 under full load. My best friend has a P4 system with the retail HSF, and it runs quite a bit hotter than my system.

Mine is a little louder, but that's not cause of the HSF, I have crappy case fans that run too loud.

Quote:

I can't believe that thats always the case. I have seen XP 1700 running over 3 Ghz. Thats a 1700 MHz OC!

Quote:
The only real advantage over Intel is price.

I agree. That's why i bought this. this is just a toy. For serious eork i'll use my intel. I don't think this thing will do any better than my overclocked P3 1.0 GHz, even with the DDR memory.
This thing is eating my p4's dust and i'm not planning to overclock it yet.
it is ok for the price though. it is somewhat decent, but i won't recommend it to any businesses or anyone who wants to do some work.
for tweakers and more pro's may be yes, if they are willing to mess with it when it breaks down, or keep their eyes on the thermometer while working!

I admit, i'm not an AMD fan at all. laugh

I am and will always be an AMD fan. If it was ONLY Intel we would all be screwed. They would have 90+% of the market cpus and the prices would be twice that there are now. Imagine if there was only COKE or ONLY PEPSI, what kind of sh*t would that be. AMD is there to compete like Cyrix tried to do. Without competition in the market place there is Monopoly or better known as MicroSoft.

AMD chips are great for low end up to high end, you just need to make sure you cool properly. And that goes for ANY CHIP. I have a P4 and and XP. Both run about the same temp.

If your Athlon XP 2400+ isn't outpacing your P3 1.13Ghz machine in every respect, then I seriously think you've either got some faulty components or there is some serious mosconfiguration in the OS.

But on the flip side you can't expect a 2400+ to perform as fast as you P4 running at 2.5Ghz, the PR rating system may have its flaws, but for the most part I've found it to be a fairly accurate representation of processor speed, as long as you have a decent chipset for the board to run on. And since you are running a nForce2 mobo, then that isn't the issue.

Quote:
If your Athlon XP 2400+ isn't outpacing your P3 1.13Ghz machine in every respect, then I seriously think you've either got some faulty components or there is some serious mosconfiguration in the OS.

But on the flip side you can't expect a 2400+ to perform as fast as you P4 running at 2.5Ghz, the PR rating system may have its flaws, but for the most part I've found it to be a fairly accurate representation of processor speed, as long as you have a decent chipset for the board to run on. And since you are running a nForce2 mobo, then that isn't the issue.

Actaully, I don't believe that is an nforce2

You are right, I looked at the wrong column, it's a KT400 board.

My mistake.

I still think what I said applied, even though I know about the issues with VIA chipsets.

it's a VIA chipset. I'm not too impressed with the performence, especially heating issues this thing has.

this system is good for someone who keeps a close look on everything while using the system. it is not like "turn it on and leave it will work on it's own" kind of thing, i mean i don't trust to leavi it on and leave home and do remote desktop from work, where as i have no problems doing that with my pentium 4 computer. it will neve overheat and does not need special attention. it will just work.

You people act like it is a freeking IRON. It is a computer, you can leave it on 24 7 365. I will not melt down! Heat is an issue with any electrical component with that much going on inside it.

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A DECENT HS&F, IT IS A COMPUTER LIKE ANY OTHER.

A great deal of my clients have machines, Dell, Gateway etc. with AMD chips in them, and they NEVER have a problem. The biggest problem is Windows. I think YOU are making it bigger that it really is.

Quote:
You people act like it is a freeking IRON. It is a computer, you can leave it on 24 7 365. I will not melt down! Heat is an issue with any electrical component with that much going on inside it.

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A DECENT HS&F, IT IS A COMPUTER LIKE ANY OTHER.

A great deal of my clients have machines, Dell, Gateway etc. with AMD chips in them, and they NEVER have a problem. The biggest problem is Windows. I think YOU are making it bigger that it really is.

Sheeesh... People will blame windows for everything.... How is windows the source of the heat problem?

Quote:
The real heart of an overclocking system is the Power Supply. A 350 Watt power helps a 2400+ to 2205 Mhz Stable. I think you might want to give a bit more power. I know, I use to get a 158 Mhz FSB on a 1700+.

i would have to disagree with u there - the heart of over clocking is not your power supply - it is the chip you get - the specific week / factory.

next would be Motherboard - one with PCI locking, spcific ram timing and other needed overclocking items - check out an Abit board - has it all!

and Ram - need some good ram pc3200 / 3500 is good as it give u some head room.

then powersupply - since most anyone who overclocks already has a 350+ w power supply.

Quote:
Quote:

I can't believe that thats always the case. I have seen XP 1700 running over 3 Ghz. Thats a 1700 MHz OC!

i would like to see that - any links? Considering i am a rather "hardcore" overclocker myself and have never heard of a 1700 getting anywhere near that speed.

Quote:
Without competition in the market place there is Monopoly or better known as MicroSoft.

The only reason MS has a monopoly is because no other company - LINUX - has been able to produce a product that is user friendly for any level of user and is constant - LINUX is great - i am not bashing it, but it has way too many downfalls to become a main stream dekstop product. MS is on top because it has what people can use - as soon as another company can do that, they will be on top.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i would like to see that - any links? Considering i am a rather "hardcore" overclocker myself and have never heard of a 1700 getting anywhere near that speed.

Well I can't find any examples of anything quite that high at the moment but I am fairly sure I have heard of it. Here a couple of bbs posts concerning the 1700.

2300 MHz http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14009&highlight=1700

2500 MHz http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11251&highlight=1700

I know that it does overclock very well. It runs at 1.3 GHz by default.

^^ impressive

i am getting a used 1700 myself - i had it before and did not get too high on overclocking, but it only ahd pc2100 and an msi board - if i can get speeds like that i will very impressed! thnx for the links!

Quote:
^^ impressive

i am getting a used 1700 myself - i had it before and did not get too high on overclocking, but it only ahd pc2100 and an msi board - if i can get speeds like that i will very impressed! thnx for the links!

From what I understand there are certain releases that will overclock better then others. Make sure you get a Thoroughbred B though., Do you know you can buy a retail version for $50?

oh yeah, it is just like Intel chips - certain weeks and from a certian plant matters on the overclocking smile

the AMD scene for overclocking is new to me, if i cna not over clock it oh well, this system is going to my girlfriend if i can not over clock it smile

Quote:
From what I understand there are certain releases that will overclock better then others. Make sure you get a Thoroughbred B though., Do you know you can buy a retail version for $50?

Make sure it's a JIUHB (or is it JUIHB? I can't remember) core model as these are the ones that overclock really well. They don't need a lot of fiddling about either, many can reach decent overclocks using little more than stock cooling/voltages.